Hi All,
Brand new build
  • MSI Pro Z690 A WiFi DDR5
  • i7-12700k 12th Gen Alder Lake 3.6GHz Intel UHD Graphics 770
  • Noctua NH-D9L Cooler
  • Vengeance DDR5 2 x 16 GB
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe
  • MSI MPG A850GF WATX Plus Gold
Wont Post, get a MSI EZ Debug CPU error light immediately on power up.
Ive disconnected everything but the CPU and cooler fan, same error.
Removed, inspected, checked, rechecked then reseated CPU reattached CPU Cooler same error.
Next step I suppose would be to pull the MB from the case and power it up on the bench?
The problem is that all the hardware is new generation and I dont have anything I can swap out for testing.
ARGHH
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance...

Feb 1, 2022
Send back to your seller. That is the only way to solve this issue. Z690 is new for all brands. So dont expecting it wpuld be perfect. When u send back for warranty claim they will check it for you befire they replace the mpbo.

Mar 19, 2022
Hellos, I'm having same issue. I sent back to Newegg and already got replacement yesterday. I get exact same indications with new set. Do you have an update?
  • MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5 LGA 1700
  • Intel Core i5-12600K
  • G.SKILL Trident Z5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR5 SDRAM DDR5 6000 Intel XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K
  • RAM i sin slot A2 & B2 per the instruction manual.
  • Nothing else plugged in. (I tried both CPU fan plugged in and not plugged in, both same indications)
  • PS connections - ATX 24pin connection, 8 pin CPU connection x1. (My PS only has 1 CPU connector)
  • I searched around, some say both CPU plugs need to be plugged in. some say only one of them but if over clocking it needs both. What is the real answer?
  • My power supply is 650W and runs fine with an old system I have. This power supply should be plenty of power... but its old. I ordered a new 750W PS just to see if that changes anything.

I purchased these and the first time I got same indications - power light flashes on then turns off after 1/2 second. CPU fail indicator is on at same time. I went through the troubleshooting steps recommended by MSI, but no resolution. I returned both processor and MB... got new both and same indications all over again. completely built on the bench for testing, so not even in a case yet.
I was thinking I needed both CPU plugs, hens the order for new PS. but it seems you have same issue and implied you have both plugged in. so now I'm looking for something else.

I'm looking for fresh advice on what to do...

KyaraM

Admirable
Hellos, I'm having same issue. I sent back to Newegg and already got replacement yesterday. I get exact same indications with new set. Do you have an update?
  • MSI PRO Z690-A DDR5 LGA 1700
  • Intel Core i5-12600K
  • G.SKILL Trident Z5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR5 SDRAM DDR5 6000 Intel XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K
  • RAM i sin slot A2 & B2 per the instruction manual.
  • Nothing else plugged in. (I tried both CPU fan plugged in and not plugged in, both same indications)
  • PS connections - ATX 24pin connection, 8 pin CPU connection x1. (My PS only has 1 CPU connector)
  • I searched around, some say both CPU plugs need to be plugged in. some say only one of them but if over clocking it needs both. What is the real answer?
  • My power supply is 650W and runs fine with an old system I have. This power supply should be plenty of power... but its old. I ordered a new 750W PS just to see if that changes anything.

I purchased these and the first time I got same indications - power light flashes on then turns off after 1/2 second. CPU fail indicator is on at same time. I went through the troubleshooting steps recommended by MSI, but no resolution. I returned both processor and MB... got new both and same indications all over again. completely built on the bench for testing, so not even in a case yet.
I was thinking I needed both CPU plugs, hens the order for new PS. but it seems you have same issue and implied you have both plugged in. so now I'm looking for something else.

I'm looking for fresh advice on what to do...
You indeed should need both CPU plugs. If you didn't plug both in, try that first and if that doesn't work we can see what else might be the issue.

Reactions: SeaDwarf
Mar 19, 2022
--Update--
I got my new power supply in and was able to do some testing. Here is what I found for my build.
My old PS is a RaidMax 630W modular. That seems like it would be enough Power, but for some reason it did not work.
My new PS is a Rasewill PMG1050 modular. The 1050 wattage is overkill, but at the price break I got a good deal over a 750W with room to upgrade.
Now the testing...
  • Nothing connected but CPU, Memory, PS connections.
  • With the new PS it works fine with only 1 CPU plug. The MB does pause to detect the CPU fan and seems to stop if not plugged in. But I didn't leave it that way for more than 5 seconds. I was just looking for changes in indications.
  • Once I plugged in the fan and a monitor to the HDMI connection, I let it go as far as it wanted. There is an odd sequence of lights that initially made me think another problem was present. but the system restarted and went to BIOS.
  • So root cause of the issue is... I think my old PS (its aged a bit) does not have enough wattage on the 12v regulator to power up this processor.
Just FYI, even though I proved I don't need it, I did plug in both CPU power connections.

Now that its tested and working, I'll proceed with my build. Thank you all for your help. I hope this feedback helps others.

Reactions: KyaraM