Feb 29, 2020
I have been using a 750w PSU and a GTX 1070. I have had no issues I'm aware of. I recently purchased an RTX 2070 Super and now have that installed alongside the GTX 1070, because I'll use both for Blender rendering.

For now, I am using the 1070 for gaming because I'm waiting on a DisplayPort cable. I have noticed severe FPS drops, and with MSI Afterburner I am noticing my card's baseclock dropping in half while gaming, which is probably what's causing my problem. My CPU usage was around 60% during my test that I mention below.

My setup:
i7-8700k
GTX 1070
RTX 2070 Super
CX750 750W
GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 motherboard

The game I really noticed this problem in is Minecraft. I loaded up a game, started with just 25 fps, then hovered around 60-80 for the most part. I usually get 180 (and I lock it there). When I disable power to the RTX card, I return to somewhat normal frames, but I was lower at 140ish.

Does this sound, from this limited information, like a power supply issue? Should I invest in a 1000w PSU?

Feb 29, 2020
You should invest in a better PSU. The CX is a budget tier PSU, while not bad I don't think I would run two GPUs off it.

https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/

A quality 750-850 watt PSU is more then enough for those cards even toegher. The Corsair TX is a good choice and usually has either a sale or rebate for them.

Thanks for the reply Richie, I'll check into the link you provided. Turns out I bought this PSU FIVE YEARS AGO. It was a part of my first (and budget) PC build. I'm buying a new one pronto!