Jul 21, 2022
Hi, I have been experiencing a lot of bsods after upgrading a few bits of hardware; my GPU, an addition of 32gb of RAM on top of the 16 that was already there, an nvme drive, and a 1000w psu.

I've seen errors like: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION for the most part.

From what I've read its usually a driver issue, but I've tried DDU multiple time, I've reinstalled windows entirely, and have tried updated driver with device manager.

I also thought it was a virus, so I've done multiple scans to no avail.

I also stopped any overclocking.

I check temps, and they max out cpu: ~75 and GPU also ~75 with idles around 45

my system is as follows:

ASUS Prime X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
2x 16 GB 3200mhz RAM + 2x 8 GB 3200mhz RAM ( the matching sets are in every other slot)
RTX 3070
samsung 980 pro nvme ssd
4 other ssd
intel wifi 6 ax200 wifi adaptor

Please let me know any other useful info I could provide.

Cheers

Hi, I have been experiencing a lot of bsods after upgrading a few bits of hardware; my GPU, an addition of 32gb of RAM on top of the 16 that was already there, an nvme drive, and a 1000w psu.

I've seen errors like: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION for the most part.

From what I've read its usually a driver issue, but I've tried DDU multiple time, I've reinstalled windows entirely, and have tried updated driver with device manager.

I also thought it was a virus, so I've done multiple scans to no avail.

I also stopped any overclocking.

I check temps, and they max out cpu: ~75 and GPU also ~75 with idles around 45

my system is as follows:

ASUS Prime X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
2x 16 GB 3200mhz RAM + 2x 8 GB 3200mhz RAM ( the matching sets are in every other slot)
RTX 3070
samsung 980 pro nvme ssd
4 other ssd
intel wifi 6 ax200 wifi adaptor

Please let me know any other useful info I could provide.

Cheers
Remove the smaller ram kit and just use the 32GB one. This is why they sell ram in matched sets because mixing and matching ram like this is a crap shoot, it doesn't always work out.

Jul 21, 2022
Remove the smaller ram kit and just use the 32GB one. This is why they sell ram in matched sets because mixing and matching ram like this is a crap shoot, it doesn't always work out.

This seems to have improved my systems stability in general, but I still experienced a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION this morning, I reinstalled my GPU driver and installed samsungs nvme firmware tool, but that said I had the latest update. Im hoping things will just sort themselves out, but if I'm still experiencing BSODs is there anything else I should try?
I need more stability because I render UE5, path tracer animations and that can take a very long time and midnight bsods can really waste a lot of time for me.

This seems to have improved my systems stability in general, but I still experienced a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION this morning, I reinstalled my GPU driver and installed samsungs nvme firmware tool, but that said I had the latest update. Im hoping things will just sort themselves out, but if I'm still experiencing BSODs is there anything else I should try?
I need more stability because I render UE5, path tracer animations and that can take a very long time and midnight bsods can really waste a lot of time for me.
Check in the motherboards manual that you have the ram installed in the correct DIMM slots. Make sure that you install the latest bios for your motherboard.

Jul 21, 2022
Check in the motherboards manual that you have the ram installed in the correct DIMM slots. Make sure that you install the latest bios for your motherboard.
So after you mentioned this I tried the RAM in 1st and 3rd slot (was in 2nd and 4th before) pretty sure thats correct as the slots are colour coded. Today I got two more BSODs after the pc was idle for about 30mins during lunch, the second of which I managed to read was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

So after you mentioned this I tried the RAM in 1st and 3rd slot (was in 2nd and 4th before) pretty sure thats correct as the slots are colour coded. Today I got two more BSODs after the pc was idle for about 30mins during lunch, the second of which I managed to read was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
I suggest that you run the windows memory diagnostic program.
Also make sure you have the latest drivers for devices, e.g. LAN, Wifi, graphics, audio, chipset and bios file

Jul 21, 2022
OK, so I really appreciate all of the hope, heres what I've done so far:

put ram in dimm a2,b2
updated chipset driver
updated audio driver
installed wifi/bluetooth pcie device driver

and now i got another IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Im going to try and take out the pcie wifi device and see if i still get it, becasue it is a bit of a dodgy amazon purchase, and Im hoping thats whats causing the issue at this point.

OK, so I really appreciate all of the hope, heres what I've done so far:

put ram in dimm a2,b2
updated chipset driver
updated audio driver
installed wifi/bluetooth pcie device driver

and now i got another IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Im going to try and take out the pcie wifi device and see if i still get it, becasue it is a bit of a dodgy amazon purchase, and Im hoping thats whats causing the issue at this point.
Which bios version is your motherboard running atm?

Jul 21, 2022
Hi, sorry this thread has gone cold.

Im still getting BSods, both IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQAUL and KERNEL... something rather.
Would really apprecaite any help. I wonder if a windows reinstall would help without the 16gb memory?

Jul 21, 2022
I left it on safe mode all night and in the morning the screens were just black and it wouldn't wake up. So I restarted it with the button and it went past the bios screen and then went to an immediate bluescreen before windows started loading, then restarted normally.

Jul 21, 2022
I've watched a video talking about how the cpu cooler can be over tight causing bsod, I recently changed thermal paste and noticed the cooler could slide around a bit, as it has springs to tension. Could this be why?

I've watched a video talking about how the cpu cooler can be over tight causing bsod, I recently changed thermal paste and noticed the cooler could slide around a bit, as it has springs to tension. Could this be why?
Possibly I guess, If you have inadvertently damaged the CPU during the heatsink installation. Hopefully that isn't the case though. Perhaps the next thing to do is strip down to the bare minimum hardware required to boot, do a clean install of windows from USB, see if that fixes the BSOD issue.

Jul 21, 2022
Possibly I guess, If you have inadvertently damaged the CPU during the heatsink installation. Hopefully that isn't the case though. Perhaps the next thing to do is strip down to the bare minimum hardware required to boot, do a clean install of windows from USB, see if that fixes the BSOD issue.
would you take out secondry ssds as well? Or is that pointless

Jul 21, 2022
I wonder if its got somehing to do with tpm? i get an error in event viewer every startup saying something along the lines of tpm failing. I went through a troubleshooting website to fix it with no success and i tried different tpm settings in the bios, and i still get the error even after reinstalling windows

I wonder if its got somehing to do with tpm? i get an error in event viewer every startup saying something along the lines of tpm failing. I went through a troubleshooting website to fix it with no success and i tried different tpm settings in the bios, and i still get the error even after reinstalling windows
That's not good. You could try resetting the bios to default settings. Not much else to do but replace hardware.

Jul 21, 2022
That's not good. You could try resetting the bios to default settings. Not much else to do but replace hardware.
Yep, got a new motherboard and that seemed to solve the issue. It says its "Ryzen 3000" compatible so maybe the old one (even though it was am4) was too old for the cpu. Weirdly, I only started experiencing the problem after upgrading the GPU and PSU, not quite sure what happened. All I do know is that TPM wasnt working on it for some reason.

Jul 21, 2022
OK, its happening again, it was fine for a week, and now the same thing is happening again, I also noticed that I'm getting the same TPM error which I'm pretty sure wasn't happening when I installed the new motherboard.