[SOLVED] Multiple issues on a brand new Lenovo laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2020
Hello everyone! I'm really looking for some help with my new laptop.

I recently bought a new Lenovo laptop (Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ADA05) without an OS. I read some good reviews of it, the price was alright and I had some previous experience on installing Windows on a few laptops so I went ahead and bought it. The first small issue came when the Windows installer coundn't "setup a new partition". I googled it and came up with a solution that worked ( I used this instructional video ). Everything went fine, I got to the home screen, started to check for updates, installed Avast anti-virus, Iobit driver booster, MS Office and a few other applications. The iObit driver booster installed a wrong driver and my trackpad stopped to work, but I found the conflicting driver, unistalled it and everything else was fine. Then the next day the real problems came. I needed to install Zoom and Respondus to do my schoolwork but then a sea of errors came.
First of all I couldn't install Zoom because the installer simply would not open. I found a different way to install the app, through a different installer, but it opened for a second and gave an error "Network connection failed. Please check your network and try again (Error code 1005)" Otherwise my internet works just fine. Of course I googled it but I seem to be the only person in the World with such an error code. I tried different solution to fix network errors but nothing seemed to change. It also gives a "debug" text document, but it's quite long and I don't understand where the problem is. I also cannot contact Zoom support because you need to be a paying customer to get an actual person to help you out (what a lovely system they have). Then I thought that I could use Zoom through the web. It would be a bit of a pain and I'm not sure if I'd be able to share my screen like that, but I guess we'll have to see.
Then I tried to install Respondus and of course it gave an another error "Error extracting InstallShield setup, please try downloading again" which I did try to redownload but nothing changed. I also cannot seem to find anything similar to my problem online.
When I tried to troubleshoot my problems, I thought that there might be some missing drivers that the Windows update didn't install. I went to Lenovo website and tried to download their automatic driver updater. Of course when it downloads and I try to run it, it opens up a new error "The system cannot find the path specified". Perfect. I downloaded manually some drivers (the network driver and "software and utilities"). Those thankfully installed without an issue but didn't change a thing.

So please help me understand where is the problem here? What troubleshooters should I run? Should I install any specific drivers? Should I reset my Windows completely even if its only two days old?

I must have missed something, because a brand new laptop should not behave like this..

Solution
Fresh OS install
Full wipe of everything, and start over.

USAFRet

Titan
Fresh OS install
Full wipe of everything, and start over.

Solution
Nov 27, 2020
Alright. That was also on my mind. Okay, I’ll reset Windows on my laptop. Thank you for the thread. Let’s see how that goes.
I’ve got one question though - are the drivers nowadays automatically installed or do I have to go to the laptops manufacturers website and download them separately? And do I have to do something extra when I get to the home screen for the first time?

USAFRet

Titan
Alright. That was also on my mind. Okay, I’ll reset Windows on my laptop. Thank you for the thread. Let’s see how that goes.
I’ve got one question though - are the drivers nowadays automatically installed or do I have to go to the laptops manufacturers website and download them separately? And do I have to do something extra when I get to the home screen for the first time?
Not "reset" from within Windows.

Full wipe and reinstall, per the link above.

Drivers?
Go to Lenovo and get the latest. You can do that now, and save them on a flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.