MX-4 vs. Ceramique 2

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Looks like there about same except Ceramique 2 is non conductive nor capacitive. I haven't personally used MX-4 but I used Caramique 2 in this last build. In addition Ceramique 2 is allot cheaper, you can get a 25g tube of it for less that $8 compared to $10 of the MX-4 for a 4g tube.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519&IsNodeId=1&Description=MX-4&bop=And&CompareItemList=-1%7C35-100-018%5E35-100-018-TS%2C35-186-038%5E35-186-038-TS

MX-4 is the better product and it is also not electrically conductive, Ceramique2 is really no better than the original Ceramique and from talking to a Artic Silver Representative was really never marketed for the CPU crowd, it was marketed as a TIM for the air industry, with a long cure in time.

It was specifically designed not to fail under extreme vibration conditions, but you won't be taking off and landing your computer.

Artic Silver 5 was marketed for the computer overclocking enthusiasts, however it's long cure in time turns most of us away from the product.

That tid bit of information is something I can share here but could not include in the Thermal Roundup in my sig, simply because Artic Silver would not submit testing samples for the roundup, but did give me permission to include samples I already had on hand.

MX-4 is an excellent TIM, flows and spreads easy, it out performs Artic Silver Ceramique and Artic Silver 5, check out the thermal roundup in my sig.
Ryan

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

Good bit of information that I did not know regarding it being designed for a environment with allot of vibration. My experience is only with Ceramique 2 and the only reason I had to buy more TIM was because my tube of Ceramique was over 6 years old so It was time to get a new one. In addition at least for my uses it works for me I am not a heavy overclocker and I don't have to clean and reapply TIM on a daily bases so I can't speak for other brands in that regard. But with all due respect of course, at least to me and this is just my opinion they all pretty much perform the same for the average user, although I can see a marginal difference of 2-3c when using water cooling as your test results show.

Quaddro

Distinguished

there's no difference..
you can use your thermal paste to both cpu and gpu..

larkspur

Distinguished
I use MX-4 over other TIMs mainly for its durability. It's also non-conductive, very easy to apply (although they all are pretty much), and has a very short burn-in time (I think they claim it needs no burn-in but whatever). I kinda doubt their 8-year durability claim, but we'll see!

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Ah, forgot about that one +1 on that Quaddro..yeah shin etsu is great ...IC Diamond that I used not to long ago at a customers request it performed really well too, pricey stuff though

Quaddro

Distinguished

Yup, it's a great paste..
i replace my tunix tx-2 to shin etsu x23, and it's decrease my overclocked gpu temp almost 6'c lower.. :eek:
actually shin etsu g751 is the best shin etsu thermal paste product, but it's hard to find in my place..

well, in my local store, shin etsu x23 is $1 cheaper than mx-4..

lol never try it but you guys are temping me to on this build i am finishing up for my neighbor since he doesn't know what hes doing and already hacked his case all to hell you don't even want to know what he had planed for his loop

:lol: i talked him into something plus got him to buy new case he f that other case he had up bad bro this was his plan

:ouch: :non: here what i am trying to talk him into in the thread listed below but hes still unsure of some parts so i decided to make a thread so he can see the answers he gets http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/280417-29-need-deciding-final-parts#