Question My 450w PSU is making weird noises is this because it cant handle my specs?

708jn

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021
GPU: GTX 1650
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
PSU: Corsair CV 450w 80 plus bronze
RAM: Corsair vengeance pro 2x8 3200mhz
Motherboard: Msi b450 gaming max plus

Is it normal for a psu to be loud?

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
i switched webrowsers and listened. a chirping noise cause by rotation. thanks for your tweet.

NO. You are right in your suspicion. Chirping is not normal and could indicate early failure. You may consider returning it: after checking a few other things.

However you didn't say if this is a new PC or if this is a 10yr old pc. If it's say 6yr old then guess the fan is beginning to fail.

You checked to see if the psu fan cause of the noise right? Did you open the case side to see if one of the other (3) fans in the PC aren't the fan causing the chirping?

(an old brushless fan failing makes a plastic fast rattling noise that is very noisy.. brrrrrrrr. so you don't have a failing brushless fan)

(i'm not sure what noise a failing double bearing fan failing makes because i've never had one fail before it got de-commissioned. Corsair has a new style brushless called "rifle bearing" also "fluid bearing" (both do not heave roller bearings) - i've not owned one i can't say what the failing noise is. )

Being a chirp: Either the fan is rubbing on something (in which case just tie your wires) or loose (screws loose allowing a rubbing chirp to be made) or or is actually failed the manufacturing process (the spindle is doing something very strange).

Last edited:

708jn

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021
i switched webrowsers and listened. a chirping noise cause by rotation. thanks for your tweet.

NO. You are right in your suspicion. Chirping is not normal and could indicate early failure. You may consider returning it: after checking a few other things.

However you didn't say if this is a new PC or if this is a 10yr old pc. If it's say 6yr old then guess the fan is beginning to fail.

You checked to see if the psu fan cause of the noise right? Did you open the case side to see if one of the other (3) fans in the PC aren't the fan causing the chirping?

(an old brushless fan failing makes a plastic fast rattling noise that is very noisy.. brrrrrrrr. so you don't have a failing brushless fan)

(i'm not sure what noise a failing double bearing fan failing makes because i've never had one fail before it got de-commissioned. Corsair has a new style brushless called "rifle bearing" also "fluid bearing" (both do not heave roller bearings) - i've not owned one i can't say what the failing noise is. )

Being a chirp: Either the fan is rubbing on something (in which case just tie your wires) or loose (screws loose allowing a rubbing chirp to be made) or or is actually failed the manufacturing process (the spindle is doing something very strange).
I just got this psu in april 2022

708jn

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021

I tied my extra wires and it seems to be fine thanks!