Question My computer has been failing to boot for the past week. I'd like some help.

Mar 7, 2020
Whenever I boot or reinstall windows, the loading screen keeps flashing (the one with the windows logo and the circle) and always restarts or BSODs with a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. If I somehow manage to get to the initial windows setup screen, everything flickers (to black and back again) rapidly then crashes, then sometimes comes back before rebooting. I have tried different gpus, installing windows on 3 different hard drives, resetting cmos, bios, etc. Formatting ssd doesn't work either. I have not overclocked my pc. I have also updated the bios to the latest version, yet still no improvement.

Basic specs are as follows:
Powercolor red dragon RX 5700 XT
Ryzen 5 3600
16GB corsair vengeance ddr4 (3200mhz)
Msi b450 gaming plus Max motherboard
Nzxt kraken m22 aio
Corsair rm750x power supply
512gb gigabyte nvme m.2 ssd
2tb Seagate barracuda hard drive

Literally every possible solution has been tried to no avail. The only parts I haven't swapped out are the motherboard, ram and cpu since I don't have any compatible spare parts.

If it helps, the pc was working fine the day it stopped working. It just happened randomly while I was away from my desk.

I've been trying to fix this bloody thing for a week now so help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Feb 5, 2020
Whenever I boot or reinstall windows, the loading screen keeps flashing (the one with the windows logo and the circle) and always restarts or BSODs with a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED error. If I somehow manage to get to the initial windows setup screen, everything flickers (to black and back again) rapidly then crashes, then sometimes comes back before rebooting. I have tried different gpus, installing windows on 3 different hard drives, resetting cmos, bios, etc. Formatting ssd doesn't work either. I have not overclocked my pc. I have also updated the bios to the latest version, yet still no improvement.

Basic specs are as follows:
Powercolor red dragon RX 5700 XT
Ryzen 5 3600
16GB corsair vengeance ddr4 (3200mhz)
Msi b450 gaming plus Max motherboard
Nzxt kraken m22 aio
Corsair rm750x power supply
512gb gigabyte nvme m.2 ssd
2tb Seagate barracuda hard drive

Literally every possible solution has been tried to no avail. The only parts I haven't swapped out are the motherboard, ram and cpu since I don't have any compatible spare parts.

If it helps, the pc was working fine the day it stopped working. It just happened randomly while I was away from my desk.

I've been trying to fix this bloody thing for a week now so help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Have you tried to boot from another GPU? don't think the 3600 has onboard graphics to test it that way.
Also have you tried a safe mode boot?

Mar 7, 2020
Have you tried to boot from another GPU? don't think the 3600 has onboard graphics to test it that way.
Also have you tried a safe mode boot?
As specified in my post, I have tried different graphics cards. I tried using a 1050ti and it still didn't work. Safe mode also instantly crashes

Feb 5, 2020
As specified in my post, I have tried different graphics cards. I tried using a 1050ti and it still didn't work. Safe mode also instantly crashes
Sounds very odd, have you tried installing using a different Windows ISO just in case that's somehow corrupt?
As far as i'm aware that error is normally a driver issue that a reinstall should solve.

Mar 7, 2020
Sounds very odd, have you tried installing using a different Windows ISO just in case that's somehow corrupt?
As far as i'm aware that error is normally a driver issue that a reinstall should solve.
Nah I've only tried using the Windows 10 home usb I purchased with my pc. I could try making another installation drive with a spare usb but idk if it'd help.

Mar 7, 2020
Also look at the cpu for bend pins.

Make sure all power cables are secure and even try to power a/the gpu with two pcie cables,not just two connectors from one cable.
I'm fairly sure it's probably not bent pins since the pc was working fine, then stopped randomly. Could be something to look into though. As for the gpu, I used a low profile 1050 ti to test for errors and it still didn't work, so it wouldn't be a gpu power error.

Mar 7, 2020
Only thing to try is rma motherboard and cpu,see which one is the problem. Maybe even ram.
Yeah I had a technician look at the pc last night and they said it's most likely the motherboard so I've put in a warranty claim. Hopefully that's the problem. Thank you for your help anyway.

TRENDING THREADS