[SOLVED] My computer turns on, but display is off

vikkyy

Prominent
Dec 15, 2020
Hi,
I was recently using my computer after it broke not that long ago and suddenly the displays (all 3 of them) turned off. I restarted the computer and the computer LED lights and fans turned on, but the displays were still not getting any input. Here's some information I thought would be important to note:

-About 1 month ago, I had to get my GPU replaced because it was dead
-I have been using it for only about 2 weeks since I got it up and running
-When I turn on the system, all the fans spin except the fans on the GPU
-The lights that are normally on the mobo do turn on
-I know that my cables and monitors are fine
-I was not doing anything intensive when it broke

I am aware that it could easily be a mobo, GPU, or PSU issue, but I'm not sure where to start. If anyone can help, that would be great.

Solution
Hey, I don't know if this thread is still active, but I just wanted to say that the issue was the GPU. I sent it in for an RMA and when the new one came in, it worked straight away. Thank you guys for your help.

Gegemon007

BANNED
Feb 4, 2021
I think you should get it checked by an AMD service center to ask them about the display ports of the GPU, or if u can also get the Asus service center to inspect the PC for big problems
Did you try to boot it using 1 screen?

vikkyy

Prominent
Dec 15, 2020
I think you should get it checked by an AMD service center to ask them about the display ports of the GPU, or if u can also get the Asus service center to inspect the PC for big problems
Just tried to boot using only the main monitor and it still does not get a signal.

vikkyy

Prominent
Dec 15, 2020
It could be the ram, try to swap ram positions. I've had a problem where my pc wouldn't give a display signal only to find out I didn't seat the ram correctly
I thought it could be the ram too, but I luckily have two sets of ram, so I tried both of them in all positions as well as clean the slots, but no luck.

Cyclo Locke

Prominent
Feb 5, 2021
I have a similar problem after I've bought an older monitor from a friend. I've found a workaround, however.
I connected the PC to one more monitor (TV, in my case). And then I went to Start > Device Manager > Display Adapters and then I kept right clicking on the GPU and Disabling and Enabling it until it saw my PC monitor.

This happens almost every time I restart the PC. I think it's sort of a GPU - monitor compatibility issue.

vikkyy

Prominent
Dec 15, 2020
I have a similar problem after I've bought an older monitor from a friend. I've found a workaround, however.
I connected the PC to one more monitor (TV, in my case). And then I went to Start > Device Manager > Display Adapters and then I kept right clicking on the GPU and Disabling and Enabling it until it saw my PC monitor.

This happens almost every time I restart the PC. I think it's sort of a GPU - monitor compatibility issue.
I don’t think it’s a gpu > monitor in my case because when the issue started, all three displays turned off at once and each display as well as the cables is not working but working fine on something else.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Probably a motherboard issue... Did you get your PC checked out by an expert in your area?
So by my calculations, either the wire which u are using is bad or the PCI-e lane is bad

If the answer to a question here was always "go to a service center", this site would not need to exist. There are many troubleshooting steps that can and should be gone through to help this user that would direct you to an actual answer instead of a nonsensical one that you have made up. Move along, you are not helping anyone.

DairyleaPC

Prominent
Feb 5, 2021
Hi , I had a similar problem to this not so long ago, twice .
TLDR : I replaced my gpu. I’ll explain my situation maybe you can relate.

My pc switched off and all of a sudden I was getting no input on the monitor through HDMI or DVI even tried a TV just to make sure but nothing . Luckily my motherboard had onboard graphics and I managed to hook a HDMI from that to my monitor and it came on. Replaced the gpu and away I went .

In my opinion maybe it’s worth a try to borrow a friends graphics card and see if that works .

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Try a different cable in just one monitor. If there's a single shorting issue with any of the monitors or any of the cables, it affects the source, the gpu, as a whole. 1 bad cable = all monitors shutdown. Try multiple ports on the gpu, multiple ports on multiple monitors.

I know on my pc, I added a laptop to the hdmi port and got nothing, only the primary DP port worked right until I unplugged that and used only the hdmi, then plugged the DP back in. Can only assume it was a 'handshake' issue between the hdmi and DP ports on the monitor itself, the hdmi getting locked out if DP is primary source.

The only other explanation I can think of is you have a faulty psu that's delivering bad voltages to the gpu and burning them out quickly, but that's a last ditch guesstimate.

vikkyy

Prominent
Dec 15, 2020
Hey, I don't know if this thread is still active, but I just wanted to say that the issue was the GPU. I sent it in for an RMA and when the new one came in, it worked straight away. Thank you guys for your help.

Solution