[SOLVED] My CPU changed GHz and my computer is slow!

May 4, 2019
So when I turned on my PC today it was slow suddenly I checked task manager and my CPU changed to 2.66GHz. Before this happened I was able to run GTA 5 to 40FPS 50FPS now it's at 10FPS to 20FPS. and whenever I play a game my GPU shoots up to 100% usage [I think that it normal but still...] CPU speed drops to 1.59Ghz and lower when just idle.

SPECS:
CPU xeon x5650 2.99GHz 6 cores
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
STORAGE: SSD 500GB

Discord: DoctorHyro#0332
Message me if you want pictures and want to see how my CPU acts

I know. But my PC never had a problem running games until now.

Oh and I had to reseat my ram earlier because it wasn't working right after I did that and turned on my PC everything got slow so i'm thinking it could be a hardware issue :((

Strange but everything is still working so maybe when you plug your ram into MB it reset the settings in bios. Or you could try going on Power Settings on computer and change it to High settings if you have windows 10. Control Panel Hardware and Power Options and go on advance and change the power to high!

So when I turned on my PC today it was slow suddenly I checked task manager and my CPU changed to 2.66GHz. Before this happened I was able to run GTA 5 to 40FPS 50FPS now it's at 10FPS to 20FPS. and whenever I play a game my GPU shoots up to 100% usage [I think that it normal but still...] CPU speed drops to 1.59Ghz and lower when just idle.

SPECS:
CPU xeon x5650 2.99GHz 6 cores
RAM: 8GB
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
STORAGE: SSD 500GB

Discord: DoctorHyro#0332
Message me if you want pictures and want to see how my CPU acts

That CPU frequency drop in idle is normal... when the CPU isn't doing anything the clocks drop to save power.

Have you tried clearing CMOS(pull out the BIOS battery for 15-20 minutes than put it back in) ?

What are the temperatures(CPU, GPU) when gaming(use HWINFO to monitor temperatures) ?

May 4, 2019
That CPU frequency drop in idle is normal... when the CPU isn't doing anything the clocks drop to save power.

Have you tried clearing CMOS(pull out the BIOS battery for 15-20 minutes than put it back in) ?

What are the temperatures(CPU, GPU) when gaming(use HWINFO to monitor temperatures) ?
My regular temps for gaming goes to like 53C and sometimes 48C never had a meltdown or nothing..
I haven't reset the CMOS yet. I might do it I just need to know how. Do I take out the battery or click the "reset CMOS" button?

May 4, 2019
Just pull out the battery, wait 15-20 minutes, put it back in and start the system.
Okay I did that for 30 minutes and put it back in and the bios didn't get reset at all :( I don't know what to do now.

I might do a "fresh start for windows" it could be bios and a frest start could help possibly.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019
If you have a CMOS reset button on your motherboard, press that.
Also, you forgot to post your motherboard and PSU in the specs.
So I have pressed the button and nothing happened. and my motherboard is LGA1366 socket B motherboard forgot the name of the board... and my PSU is 430Watts thermaltake

So I have pressed the button and nothing happened. and my motherboard is LGA1366 socket B motherboard forgot the name of the board... and my PSU is 430Watts thermaltake

Did you press the button when the system was powered off and the CMOS battery was pulled out right?
Also, you need to press the CMOS reset button for about 20 seconds.

The motherboard model can be found on the motherboard... there should be written somewhere on it.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019
Did you press the button when the system was powered off and the CMOS battery was pulled out right?
Also, you need to press the CMOS reset button for about 20 seconds.

The motherboard model can be found on the motherboard... there should be written somewhere on it.
I took out the battery than clicked reset CMOS button and turned on the PC and nothing changed.

My mobo is a EVGA LGA 1366 socket B

If I started a "Fresh Start" could that fix it? or it could be in the bios why it's setting my CPU at 2.66GHz because my CPU is supposed to be at 2.99GHz. And in my bios I can't find anything about CPU or memory settings.

May 4, 2019
So I went into my bios and I could overclock my CPU back to 2.99GHz buttt.. It's looks really weird.

the CPU clock ratio for me is at| 20X. I don't really know... I want to change it back how it was back then but I'm scared of screwing up my PC by overclocking. I have 430W PSU so maybe if I clock it to 2.98GHz I won't have to mess with the Watts
Please help me on this I can't even play games on my PC anymore!

TRENDING THREADS