Jul 16, 2024
i did timespy on the 3dmark demo and i noticed that my score (13833) was a fair bit lower than the average (14631) for a 5600x and 7700 xt. i have done a passmark benchmark and i got a score of 20k for my cpu, the average score according to their website is 21k and about 2 years ago i did a passmark benchmark and got 22k on the same cpu. in cinebench r23 it got 9410 on multi core and 1302 on single core whereas my friend's 5600 got 11300 multi and 1500 single.

is there anything i can do to try and fix this?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Either the issue is software or hardware.

If software (most likely), clean Win install would get rid of bloatware and malware, that may hog your system resources. But before wiping it, you can easily test it.

Namely, run Cinebench when booted into Safe Mode and look if your score did improve. If it did, issue is with 3rd party apps, that are disabled when using Safe Mode.

When score doesn't improve even when benching in Safe Mode, issue most likely is hardware.
Speaking of hardware;
PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

There are no hardware "fixes". Only fix is component replacement.

Jul 16, 2024
Either the issue is software or hardware.

If software (most likely), clean Win install would get rid of bloatware and malware, that may hog your system resources. But before wiping it, you can easily test it.

Namely, run Cinebench when booted into Safe Mode and look if your score did improve. If it did, issue is with 3rd party apps, that are disabled when using Safe Mode.

When score doesn't improve even when benching in Safe Mode, issue most likely is hardware.
Speaking of hardware;
PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

There are no hardware "fixes". Only fix is component replacement.
how do i boot into safe mode?

I've got an evga 650 bq which I bought new around about a year or two ago

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
how do i boot into safe mode?
Full guide with 3 methods here,
link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...4-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234#WindowsVersion=Windows_11

I've got an evga 650 bq
That's a low quality PSU.

Thing with PSUs is, that they aren't created equal. Instead, they can be classified into 5 tiers: crap, low, mediocre, good and great quality.
The worse the PSU build quality is - the higher the chance that PSU feeds out of spec voltages to the hardware, damaging them over time (and reducing their performance). And also the higher the chance of PSU going "pop" and frying everything it is connected to, aka your whole PC.

Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC.

At this point, you either have software issue, OR when no software issue is seen, then most likely your cheap PSU has damaged your CPU over time, thus reducing it's performance.

For 2nd opinion about your PSU, look it from PSU tier list,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

You'll find yours under Tier C. While what i'm personally using and also suggesting for everyone to use, would be anything from Tier A.
(Btw, my PSUs are 2x Seasonic PRIME TX-650 and 1x Seasonic Focus PX-550.)

Jul 16, 2024
while in safe mode i was unable to launch cinebench or use steam for 3d mark even though i chose safe mode with networking
then most likely your cheap PSU has damaged your CPU over time, thus reducing it's performance.
before the evga psu i had an aerocool integrator 500w psu (which is f tier iirc) so it is possible that it did damage too. also i assume getting a better psu wont fix the damage, only prevent it from continuing

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
while in safe mode i was unable to launch cinebench or use steam for 3d mark even though i chose safe mode with networking
It should work.

Which Cinebench version did you use? 2024? R23? R15?
Since i looked from the net, and R15 should work in Safe Mode.

As for other CPU bench programs you can try in Safe Mode: Prime95.
Unsure if AIDA64 works in Safe Mode. But you can test it out.

before the evga psu i had an aerocool integrator 500w psu (which is f tier iirc) so it is possible that it did damage too. also i assume getting a better psu wont fix the damage, only prevent it from continuing
Aerocool PSUs are, yes, bad. It is possibility that your Aerocool unit already damaged the hardware and EVGA unit continues where Aerocool left off, but not at that rapid pace.

And it is true, that new, good/great quality PSU doesn't fix damage, instead it keeps getting it worse.

Jul 16, 2024
It should work.

Which Cinebench version did you use? 2024? R23? R15?
Since i looked from the net, and R15 should work in Safe Mode.
i used r23

i've just updated my bios and my multicore is now 10007 and single core is 1468, my passmark score is 21.5k and my timespy score is at 14160 now. i feel like my cpu is at a reasonable level of performance now