[SOLVED] my ethernet is capped at 205mbps

Lazypantz

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
I recently upgraded my internet to a gigabit connection and all my devices hit 500+mbps download over the wifi, but my PC is capped at 205mbps with a brand new cat 5e cable. Now I'm not expecting anywhere close to the actual 1000mbps, It's just weird to see my other devices pass my pc in download speed when I'm connected to the ethernet 2ft away from my router.
my ethernet cable is connected to msi killer e2400 gigabit controller from my z170A Gaming M7 motherboard.

English isn't my first language I'm sorry for my grammar.

Solution
Maybe not the actual cause but what stands out is "killer e2400 gigabit controller"

The whole concept of network acceleration done in a end device is completely crazy. You can not affect traffic outside you machine and why would you need to prioritize traffic inside your machine. Only a idiot would run bit torrent in the background and then think some magic program was going to make his game run good.

Killer has a long history of bugged drivers. They fix one thing and something else breaks lately it is microsoft patches that mess them up.

Killer stuff is a bit messy to remove. Part of the software is actually in the drivers. You need to download the drivers from the killer site that does not have these features. Kinda makes...
If you have anti-virus, etc, those could be causing issues. Best way to test it is to boot a linux live cd and test the speeds there too. If you have problems there too, it's a hardware issue somewhere, otherwise it's some sort of windows issue.

Maybe not the actual cause but what stands out is "killer e2400 gigabit controller"

The whole concept of network acceleration done in a end device is completely crazy. You can not affect traffic outside you machine and why would you need to prioritize traffic inside your machine. Only a idiot would run bit torrent in the background and then think some magic program was going to make his game run good.

Killer has a long history of bugged drivers. They fix one thing and something else breaks lately it is microsoft patches that mess them up.

Killer stuff is a bit messy to remove. Part of the software is actually in the drivers. You need to download the drivers from the killer site that does not have these features. Kinda makes you think when they even offer a driver like this.

I know a number of people that will not buy a motherboard if it has a killer chipset on it.

Solution
Feb 19, 2020
You said you have a Killer NIC, This is likely the cause, my friend. I bet the other PC's that work fine don't have a Killer NIC, but something else. Killer NIC's are bad, without the custom baked software to drive them they're neutered junk cards, try installing the software for the Killer NIC. But hey, they are great for cheating in online games, and that's really it though. If you can, get rid of that Killer NIC and swap it out for ANYTHING else ;)