Status
Not open for further replies.

James0832

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
I bought an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 6GB and installed it.

I was using it for 2 days without any problems (even had a shot of Goat Simulator).

However, on day 2 I decided to render a video in Vegas. An hour into the render, I heard the "USB unplug" sound and the PC monitor just shut off.

The card seems to work in safe mode as a generic VGA device, but when booting up normally, the monitors shut off once I get past the Windows logo start up screen.

I used safe mode to uninstall the drivers for the card using DDU and then safe mode again for re-installing the drivers straight from their website. The card simply does not work when the any driver is installed. (I’ve tried old and new drivers)

My old Radeon 5450 card still works in the PCIe slot, so there’s nothing wrong with the slot.

I reset CMOS and BIOS. I’ve updated my BIOS and Chipsets. Still the same.

So I contacted Nvidia, they had a look at my system details via an NFO file they asked me to send them. They reached the conclusion that it was a faulty GPU, and that I was to contact EVGA. Which I did. I opened an RMA and they sent out a replacement unit like-for-like.

Guess what – still the exact same. No difference has been made by a replacement GPU.

My power supply is a 650w EVGA. I run on Windows 7 64-bit and I have 16gb of RAM. My CPU as an AMD FX 6300 at 3.5ghz.

Does anyone have any ideas because I have officially ran out of them.

James0832

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
Did you use DDU before installing the various drivers?
Not the very first time I installed it (and it worked for 2 days).

But I have used DDU a million times since it stopped working. I cleaned out AMD drivers, Intel drivers and Nvidia drivers. I even tried disabling my onboard graphics and then installing the card back into the motherboard.

None of it worked.

James0832

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
Are you using HDMI? Display Port? DVI?
During the troubleshooting I have been using HDMI. (Currently using it now to write these posts)

When I first got the card and installed it (and it worked for 2 days), I was using both HDMI and Display port but via a Display Port to VGA adapter (my old samsung monitor only has VGA). Both worked fine when the card was operational for 2 days.

James0832

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
Seems similar ^
My screen never turned blue, it just went off altogether during a render of a video. And also I haven't noticed any difference in my fans.

Restarting the PC hasn't solved the issue. The only reason why I'm able to use this card right now to type this is because the drivers aren't installed (it's seen as a generic VGA device right now).

James0832

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
Hello,

So EVGA suggested that I upgraded my operating system or reinstall the current version. I opted to upgrade to Windows 10.

Still, the exact same issue: after the windows logo shows during boot, the PC cuts off signal to any monitors.

I do not have another PC or know anyone who has a PC to test it on.

To summarise what I have tried so far:

1. Uninstalled any other graphical drivers using DDU in Safe Mode.
  2. Installed latest and older drivers for the correct operating system.
  3. Let Windows automatically choose the drivers.
  4. Installed the driver provided on the CD that came with the card.
  5. Updated all Windows updates.
  6. Disabled Onboard graphics.
  7. Updated BIOS.
  8. Updated Chipset.
  9. Upgraded the OS from Windows 7 to 10.
  10. RMA'd the original card that I bought and tried all previous things on the replacement too.
  11. Tried old graphics card in the PCI/e slot to see if the slot was faulty.
  12. Checked the voltages on the PSU in BIOS which were deemed to be perfectly fine.

Is there anything else that can be looked at to get this card working?

The most frustrating part of all of this is the fact that the card did work for the first 2 days that I owned it. So I know my system must be compatible.

Mar 22, 2019
Dude did you get your card working yet, iv got the same problem a few days back, I didn't change d OS but do try different refresh rate mhz, and also If the card's is aligned properly or isn't receiving any static,also check the boot menu and select PCI express slot as booting device not the onboard graphics.

James0832

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
Dude did you get your card working yet, iv got the same problem a few days back, I didn't change d OS but do try different refresh rate mhz, and also If the card's is aligned properly or isn't receiving any static,also check the boot menu and select PCI express slot as booting device not the onboard graphics.
The card is now working, I haven't had the heart to render a video yet but everything seems fine for some unknown reason.

I upgraded to Windows 10 and downloaded the latest driver, it never worked.

I uninstalled the driver again using DDU, then tried the CD that came with the card. I installed it in just normal mode (not safe mode) and the driver started working halfway through the installation.

It's been fine ever since, I have no idea how or why.

Reactions: Isthisthenthat
Status
Not open for further replies.