Question My gtx 1060 GPU just popped and smoke came out of it. I need help figuring out what happened and what the next steps should be. I caught it all in a v

Sirkow

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2015
I wake up, turn on my computer (specs will be found below) and after browsing the internet for a while, i hear a familiar hiss coming from it. The hiss had happened before in what seemed to be random and very sparse times, so i never could figure out what component was causing it nor if it was even a problem i should be concerned with at all since my computer makes all kinds of noises anyway.

But this time the Hiss was much more pronnounced and persistent, enough so that i felt the need to take out my phone and start filming my computer so that i could later ask in a similar post as this one what all the fuss is about and whether i should be concerned. Then right when i start filming, this happens :
View: https://youtu.be/hcyVIbbFJwA

Surprisingly everything was working FINE even after the pop. the graphics card was detected and all was well but i shut the computer off almost immediatly as you can see in the video to be cautious.

Now the first thing i notice is my fans aren't working, so i don't know if that could have helped cause whatever that was. The GPU was bought exactly 2 years from the moment it blew up (so 08/11/2018) from a moroccan reseller and they only offer one year warranty for everything they sell so i don't think contacting them could do any good.

I have not yet tested the GPU to see if it is still working (the computer is though) for fear of it causing some other damage, so given i am fairly ignorant in this field i would rather ask knowledgable people about the steps i should undertake and if there is anything i need to do to figure out/solve the problem or atleast avoid making things worse.

My setup :

GPU: Geforce gtx 1060 6gb

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460

H-DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 1 Tera

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8 Go DDR3 1866 MHz CL10

PSU: Cooler Master G750M 80PLUS Bronze Modulaire

MOBO: ASRock B85M HDS

I wake up, turn on my computer (specs will be found below) and after browsing the internet for a while, i hear a familiar hiss coming from it. The hiss had happened before in what seemed to be random and very sparse times, so i never could figure out what component was causing it nor if it was even a problem i should be concerned with at all since my computer makes all kinds of noises anyway.

But this time the Hiss was much more pronnounced and persistent, enough so that i felt the need to take out my phone and start filming my computer so that i could later ask in a similar post as this one what all the fuss is about and whether i should be concerned. Then right when i start filming, this happens :
View: https://youtu.be/hcyVIbbFJwA

Surprisingly everything was working FINE even after the pop. the graphics card was detected and all was well but i shut the computer off almost immediatly as you can see in the video to be cautious.

Now the first thing i notice is my fans aren't working, so i don't know if that could have helped cause whatever that was. The GPU was bought exactly 2 years from the moment it blew up (so 08/11/2018) from a moroccan reseller and they only offer one year warranty for everything they sell so i don't think contacting them could do any good.

I have not yet tested the GPU to see if it is still working (the computer is though) for fear of it causing some other damage, so given i am fairly ignorant in this field i would rather ask knowledgable people about the steps i should undertake and if there is anything i need to do to figure out/solve the problem or atleast avoid making things worse.

My setup :

GPU: Geforce gtx 1060 6gb

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460

H-DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 1 Tera

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8 Go DDR3 1866 MHz CL10

PSU: Cooler Master G750M 80PLUS Bronze Modulaire

MOBO: ASRock B85M HDS

Never seen anyone film their hardware failure happening before well done. I think it is time to buy a new graphics card.

Reactions: Sirkow
I'd be giving VERY SERIOUS consideration to also replacing the power supply. The G750m, G650m had poor capacitor selection and didn't have great ripple suppression on the 12v rail, and also struggled with load regulation. I wouldn't argue against a 3-5 year old power supply like the G750m, with known problems like those (That will become magnified as the unit gets older), being the reason your graphics card didn't live as long as it probably should have. Looked to me like a capacitor smoked on your GX card and high ripple is generally one of the potential causes of that voltage that goes out of spec could certainly be relevant as well.

Regardless, if you buy a new card I would sure as the sun rises and sets not trust it with that power supply. I'd be very observant about the motherboard as well. It's susceptible to damage from those same problems so don't rule out the possibility of something else being damaged to some degree or other besides just the graphics card. Obviously, it COULD just be that the card was faulty to begin with, but I wouldn't want to take that chance if I spent the money on new hardware when for around 100 bucks you could be certain of nothing further happening if it wasn't just the GX card.

If you notice ANYTHING not working correctly going forward, that should be taken as a very good indicator that perhaps further damage occurred.

Sirkow

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2015
I'd be giving VERY SERIOUS consideration to also replacing the power supply. The G750m, G650m had poor capacitor selection and didn't have great ripple suppression on the 12v rail, and also struggled with load regulation. I wouldn't argue against a 3-5 year old power supply like the G750m, with known problems like those (That will become magnified as the unit gets older), being the reason your graphics card didn't live as long as it probably should have. Looked to me like a capacitor smoked on your GX card and high ripple is generally one of the potential causes of that voltage that goes out of spec could certainly be relevant as well.

Regardless, if you buy a new card I would sure as the sun rises and sets not trust it with that power supply. I'd be very observant about the motherboard as well. It's susceptible to damage from those same problems so don't rule out the possibility of something else being damaged to some degree or other besides just the graphics card. Obviously, it COULD just be that the card was faulty to begin with, but I wouldn't want to take that chance if I spent the money on new hardware when for around 100 bucks you could be certain of nothing further happening if it wasn't just the GX card.

If you notice ANYTHING not working correctly going forward, that should be taken as a very good indicator that perhaps further damage occurred.

Alright thank you, are you aware of any good PSU tier lists i can choose from ?

D

Deleted member 2720853

Alright thank you, are you aware of any good PSU tier lists i can choose from ?

Anything Tier B and above is good.

TRENDING THREADS