[SOLVED] My HDD makes a clicking noise once or twice every minute for a few seconds. I need help...

Grippyguy

Reputable
Jun 5, 2016
So my hdd makes some clicking noises once or twice every minute lasting for 5-10 seconds. And during that time my computer completely freezes up, if I'm trying to open a window it takes 15 seconds to do so, if I'm copying a file or installing a program the installation/copying window shows a not-responding message for 10-15 seconds. When the clicking noise stops the computer functions normally again untill the noise starts happening again.
Do you know what exactly might be causing this? There might be a defect in the hdd yes but do you think it's possible that it's got something to do with a faulty PSU because of inadequate power to the hdd? I feel like my PSU is dying because my PC occasionally shuts down while gaming sometimes.
Thank you for the help :)

Solution
clicking isn't something you want to hear from a HDD

What make/model is the hdd as most makers have their own software you can run to test the drives.

low quality or old PSU can kill parts too. If hdd isn't old, it could be PSU killed hdd. I have had that happen myself but 15+ years ago before i knew better than to use cheap PSU in PC.

Colif

Win 11 Master
clicking isn't something you want to hear from a HDD

What make/model is the hdd as most makers have their own software you can run to test the drives.

low quality or old PSU can kill parts too. If hdd isn't old, it could be PSU killed hdd. I have had that happen myself but 15+ years ago before i knew better than to use cheap PSU in PC.

Reactions: Grippyguy
Solution