My internet connection drops out about every hour please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

python27au

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
Hi, in my house i have a network consisting of my PC, a laptop, and two xboxes, plugged into a netgear cable modem.

About every hour or so my PC loses connection to the internet. None of the other devices are effected only my PC. My network card is built into my ASUS Sabretooth motherboard. I'm running windows 7.

I don't lose connection to the modem only to the internet. I right click on the network icon and the trouble shooter tells me there could be a problem with the driver for the local area connection, it then fixes the problem, and an hour later i get the same thing again.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how i can fix it.

Cheers

Sean

Solution
For anyone still looking and still struggling.

This issue needs to die once and for all, and I think I figured it out. I've been experiencing interruptions every hour or so, especially when transferring or streaming heavy media files and generally having a heavy traffic. My WiFi ran at a crisp 150mbps for some time and then just halted (Limited or no connectivity, or just a stable ON but no internet and no router access).

SOLUTIONS:

FIRST (from other posts) Reserve your IP address, make it static in your router in DHCP section you should be able to find it, follow posts above. You can also set static IP on your computer in Device > Preferences > Scroll down to IP protocol or some such. You can't reserve all of the devices though...

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Is it once per hour, seemingly at the same time? It's possible that your PC is not properly handling IP address renewal from your router.

If this is the case, there are several things you can do.
- On your router, increase the IP address lease time to a greater value. It can usually be set for 24 hours or greater.

- On your router. use IP address reservation to allow the PC to keep the same IP address, so it won't need to go through the renewal process.

- Give your PC a static IP address outside of the DHCP scope.

Edit: have you tried updating your PC's network drivers?

Msheehan

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

Hi, just came across this thread, having the same problem, wondering if you could enlighten me into which ways i can preform these steps.

Any help would be appreciated

Michael

Kevin_kbenecke66

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
I am also having a similar issue; not necessarily every hour but sometimes more than once per day. Brand new Fios router too but it was happening with old router as well...

pcasciola

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

I am having the same exact problem, and Optimum is unwilling to help saying that everything looks fine on their end.

All devices in the house lose connectivity to the Internet around once every hour or two for several minutes, 24 hours a day, but can still access each other inside the house over the LAN with no problem. I've been running ping logs 24x7 for two weeks and it's pretty consistent.

I've tried everything. Two different routers, bypassing the router and running my main desktop directly to the cable modem WAN port, turning off wifi completely on the router, power cycling the cable modem several times. All fail intermittently with the same issue.

When it's up I get a consistent 30Mbps download speed, and then suddenly I get about 90% packet loss for several minutes at a time, and then right back to 30Mbps.

I've checked the signal power and SNR (http://192.168.100.1 for many modems), even during the downtime and everything is well within limits. I do see a handful of Uncorrectable codewords, but the number doesn't always go up after a disconnect, and only a total of 29 in the past 2-3 days which is not very high.

For others having the same issue, the cable modem IP is fairly standard at 192.168.100.1, but the signals varies by modem, so do a search online for your provider and cable modem power and SNR limits. My values are 5dBmV downstream with a 38dB SNR, and upstream is 38dBmV. The upstream power seemed low to me, but I'm told is very good for Optimum. In general for other services, I see a lot of folks saying right around 42-45dBmV upstream power is the sweet spot, but don't quote me on this.

Also, for others on this thread having disconnect problems, in the past 90% of the time my solution was a new splitter, but in my case now I am back to DirectTV so I have a straight run to the cable modem. If your signal power is out of range, a new $10 splitter could be your fix.

Brent0s

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
What is happening is your lease is expiring every hour. I am trying first a small trick from a friend You can see this by going to advanced home then clicking connections it will also contain some other info.
264jgxe.png
Now for the trick you go to advanced setup then choose wan then check the box that says: Respond to Ping on Internet Port Good luck I have about 40 minutes left before the lease expires again to test it out. If not I will check back with another solution.

Seems to be working fine with no disconnect Note: NETGEAR WNR 2000 v 5
OK after 2 hours I was once again dropped after further researching this router I came up with this fix.
2s7xfg8.png

Thumbs up all system go Solved this issue for me!

Luke greenlee

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

The same problem happens to me. Okay my wifi doesnt reach my bedroom really well so i got a wifi extender at walmart. Like 2 days later i will be on xboxone and once an hour i get diconected from xbox live no matter what game. And i dont know if it happens on my phone but sometimes when im not on xbox my wifi on my iphone goes trashy. Idk what it is its super annoying but HELP.

Luke greenlee

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
The same problem happens to me. Okay my wifi doesnt reach my bedroom really well so i got a wifi extender at walmart. Like 2 days later i will be on xboxone and once an hour i get diconected from xbox live no matter what game. And i dont know if it happens on my phone but sometimes when im not on xbox my wifi on my iphone goes trashy. Idk what it is its super annoying but HELP.

romkasmirnoff

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
For anyone still looking and still struggling.

This issue needs to die once and for all, and I think I figured it out. I've been experiencing interruptions every hour or so, especially when transferring or streaming heavy media files and generally having a heavy traffic. My WiFi ran at a crisp 150mbps for some time and then just halted (Limited or no connectivity, or just a stable ON but no internet and no router access).

SOLUTIONS:

FIRST (from other posts) Reserve your IP address, make it static in your router in DHCP section you should be able to find it, follow posts above. You can also set static IP on your computer in Device > Preferences > Scroll down to IP protocol or some such. You can't reserve all of the devices though, some friends and guests coming over and you won't be poking at their MAC addresses. SOME routers just don't give out unique IP addresses and I've seen the same IP address given out to 4!!! devices, probably screwed up DHCP, or could be an interference from and extender (DISABLE DHCP ON YOUR EXTENDER AND LET MAIN ROUTER HANDLE IT).

SECOND! Not very apparent and not always advisable, but set a manual channel number on your router (and the same channel on your extender if you have it), use a WiFi analyser app on your phone to find the quietest of all neighboring networks and choose that, or just try 4-6-8, will be a number 1-11 (up to 14 for Japanese devices I think, but all your devices will only go up to 11).

THE LOGIC behind the second part is as such: the WiFi jumps around to find a new channel if the current one gets congested (high interference/packet loss). In reality this should be seamless between devices, but that's what was causing all my headaches. I analyzed the log files from my router and cross checked the times and my regular interruptions were when the channels had to switch. And they had to switch because of a lot of lost packets (sounds familiar?) and, since the traffic is heavy, you get way more of those lost packets over a congested channel over the same period of time. The switch happens regularly as it seems when lost packets threshold is reached per hour or 15 minute frame or whatever, checkout quality of service QoS on your router and possibly disable it or set a higher threshold if you are in an apartment building with lots of neighbors.

SO find a quiet channel and run with that, haven't had a single interruption in over a month. The WiFi is magic, you just had to science it a little.

And as a disclaimer, this is my theory, proven by numbers and positive results, if there are communication techs out there we welcome your input.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.