[SOLVED] my laptop CPU is throttling and i don't know why it's throttling not because of high temperature especially when a heavy load is applied?

Mar 6, 2022
i have an acer nitro 52019 model equipped with i78750h and gtx 1660ti my main problem is when i start a heavy load task such as gaming the cpu clock and tdp goes down from 3.8ghz and 45w tdp to 2.3ghz and 18w tdp this happens in a matter of minutes after I start playing the game cpu starts throttling for no reason even the temperature is less than 65 degre C. this problem started when I installed windows 11 but when i reinstalled windows 10 it remains. this problem causing me a lot of troubles from severe FPS drops to laptop freezing. please help me find a solution i didnt find nothing in forums regarding this topic

Solution
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows...
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Solution
Run ThrottleStop

Open the Limit Reasons window when your CPU is throttling. Are any boxes lighting up red? Post screenshots of this program so I can see how your computer is setup. The main screen, the FIVR and TPL windows. Use imgur or a similar site to host pictures.

Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for 10 or 15 minutes. When done testing, exit the game and exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be located in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder with today's date in its name. Open that file and copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com

Post the link that it gives you.

Installing Windows 11 can update your BIOS and these updates are not always for the better. Going back to Windows 10 will not solve the problem if a setting in your BIOS was changed by your Windows 11 install. Hopefully some ThrottleStop info will show what is going on.

the temperature is less than 65°C
Most laptop throttling is power related, not temperature related.

Mar 6, 2022
Run ThrottleStop

Open the Limit Reasons window when your CPU is throttling. Are any boxes lighting up red? Post screenshots of this program so I can see how your computer is setup. The main screen, the FIVR and TPL windows. Use imgur or a similar site to host pictures.

Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for 10 or 15 minutes. When done testing, exit the game and exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be located in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder with today's date in its name. Open that file and copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com

Post the link that it gives you.

Installing Windows 11 can update your BIOS and these updates are not always for the better. Going back to Windows 10 will not solve the problem if a setting in your BIOS was changed by your Windows 11 install. Hopefully some ThrottleStop info will show what is going on.

Most laptop throttling is power related, not temperature related.
here is a throttlestop screen shot when doing a only cpu stress test
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8AzXqFoXKqEq4Pqc6
and here is a screenshot having a cpu gpu intensive task
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RhjkA94SJh6uRsCU6
my point is cpu throttles only when the gpu is under load

@mhab404
What about pictures of the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings? When your computer is running at only 2300 MHz, open up the Limit Reasons window and find out if the CPU is reporting any reasons for running so slow. There are a dozen different reasons for throttling.

Your first screenshot shows power limit throttling right at 45.0W.

RpjEmPX.png

That is normal. The 8750H has a 45W TDP rating and Acer likes to enforce this power limit.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...78750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

Some laptops enforce a much lower power limit as soon as the Nvidia GPU becomes active. Manufacturers hope that most users do not notice features like this. When you buy a laptop you have to test for these kind of things right away. Acer is not the only manufacturer that does stuff like this. If you discover that your laptop has a feature that prevents it from running at its rated speed and rated TDP, it is best to return it to the store immediately.

Some of these issues can be fixed by using ThrottleStop. Post some more screenshots and better yet, turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. This will give me a better understanding of the problem so I can suggest some possible solutions. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Open up the ThrottleStop / Logs folder, open the log file and copy and paste the log file data to www.pastebin.com

Post a link so I can better understand what Acer is doing to your laptop.

I don't use battery because it's dead
I am not sure when your power limit throttling started. Some laptops have power limit throttling issues when they are brand new and sometimes these power limit throttling problems start because something has changed. Your dead battery might be what is triggering your power limit throttling problem. I know you are plugged in and this should not happen but it does happen. Removing the battery or a dead battery triggers problems for some computers.

The laptop looks like a thinner or at least the "not a boat anchor" variety of gaming laptops. The problem with these types of laptops is that their cooling capacity is limited, is shared between the CPU and GPU (so if one gets hot, the other does too), and often times manufacturers will stick parts in there that, when operating at full speed, exceed the cooling capacity of what the laptop is capable of. Thus there will be some sort of power budget that the CPU and GPU share.

For example, my laptop, an ASUS Zephyrus G14, has a 45W part and an 80W part. It will do it's darnedest not to exceed 100W combined between the two of them. But this is a tradeoff for fitting powerful parts in a smaller package. If the laptop you have behaves similarly, then no amount of cooling is going to help. You might be able to break its limits through MSI Afterburner and Throttle stop, but keep in mind that extra cooling is paramount because the laptop's cooling system is not designed for that.

Mar 9, 2022
The laptop looks like a thinner or at least the "not a boat anchor" variety of gaming laptops. The problem with these types of laptops is that their cooling capacity is limited, is shared between the CPU and GPU (so if one gets hot, the other does too), and often times manufacturers will stick parts in there that, when operating at full speed, exceed the cooling capacity of what the laptop is capable of. Thus there will be some sort of power budget that the CPU and GPU share.

For example, my laptop, an ASUS Zephyrus G14, has a 45W part and an 80W part. It will do it's darnedest not to exceed 100W combined between the two of them. But this is a tradeoff for fitting powerful parts in a smaller package. If the laptop you have behaves similarly, then no amount of cooling is going to help. You might be able to break its limits through MSI Afterburner and Throttle stop, but keep in mind that extra cooling is paramount because the laptop's cooling system is not designed for that.
can you show us how to break the limit? I have configured my i5 9300h processor to stay at 4000Mhz clock speed always but sometimes it gets down to 2600Mhz creating frame drops and i think that power limit is at fault here, I have overclocked my gpu aswell, maybe i should return to default value if you say that they are sharing the same power limit.

can you show us how to break the limit? I have configured my i5 9300h processor to stay at 4000Mhz clock speed always but sometimes it gets down to 2600Mhz creating frame drops and i think that power limit is at fault here, I have overclocked my gpu aswell, maybe i should return to default value if you say that they are sharing the same power limit.
My laptop has custom software from the manufacturer to let me tweak these values with a disclaimer that it may not work. Your laptop may have something similar. Otherwise I've mentioned ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner. However, I do not know where this limit is imposed or if said limit can actually be broken.

At the end of the day, I don't ever consider it to be a good idea to overclock a laptop. Especially a more portable one. Those things aren't designed to cool well.