Question My laptop does not power on unless I remove main & CMOS battery ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2021
I have an Asus TP300L with Windows 10, updated BIOS.
I shut down Windows 10 normally. Then, it does not power on.

It seems that there is no power, it doesn't even try to boot. Simply, nothing happens. Nothing! It does not matter if I shut down when it has only battery, only AC adapter, or both.

In this state, the only way to power on again the laptop is:

1- Remove AC adapter.
2- Remove battery.
3- Remove CMOS battery (Yes! This also is a must)
4- Wait about 20 seconds
5- Plug in AC adapter.

Then, the laptop powers on without pressing on button and starts evey thing normally. I can connect battery and remove AC adapter, etc. Every thing works normally!

Here is how LEDs behave:
0- Battery and CMOS battery are removed. There is only AC adapter, and we shut down PC.
Power LED: Off
Battery LED: Continuous orange

1- Pulse on power button:
Nothing changes

2- Remove AC adapter:
Battery LED: Off

3- Immediately plug in AC adapter again:

4- Repeat 2.
5- Wait 30 seconds

6- Plug in AC adapter:
Power LED: On (about 1 second) - Off - Again On

7- Then PC starts normally

Why does this happen?
What should I do to power-off power-on normally my laptop?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I see two SKU's for the TP300L, which one do you have? On that note, can you mention the BIOS version for your laptop at the time of writing? Most people here state "latest" then upon checking notice that either a newer BIOS version came out or that their latest wasn't exactly the latest. Hence why we ask for a BIOS version(number).

Can you state what version(not Edition) your copy of Windows 10 is on? In the steps you've listed above in getting the laptop back to life, you should remove your ram(unless your version only has the ram soldered onto the motherboard) then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds after making sure that all source of power is devoid from the motherboard/laptop. On that last note, leave the CMOS battery intact.

As for your steps, do you enter back into BIOS to check on settings for your laptop?

I can connect battery and remove AC adapter, etc.
If the laptop refuses to boot after a shut down, how to reconnect the battery to the laptop?

Sep 7, 2021
Thank you Lutfij.

It is ASUS TP300LA.
The BIOS I have recently downloaded from ASUS support. The version is 206.

Windows version is 10.0.19043.1165.

I have 4GB ram unremovable on board, plus 1x2GB removable ram.

I did not enter and change any BIOS settings when booting.

I can connect battery and remove AC adapter, etc.
With this I mean, after powering on, ie, when I apply the steps and finally PC powers on, and starts normally, then I can install the battery (while PC is on), and remove (or not) AC adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.