[SOLVED] My monitor won't display from my GPU ?

Mar 6, 2022
Recently, I've been using NVIDIA GTX 1050 in my older PC and it was always connected to my monitor. My monitor was connected with a VGA cable connected to the motherboard and the HDMI cable connected to the GPU because that's the only way that my GPU will be displayed on the monitor.

Yesterday, I just received my new PC case (an MATX case) and a motherboard (MSI A320M-A PRO) but the thing is, the new motherboard doesn't have a VGA slot on it but instead it has a DVI slot and an HDMI slot. So I installed everything accordingly and somehow when I tried to connect my HDMI cable into the GPU slot, my monitor won't display no matter how many times I tried but somehow my motherboard does, so it connected to the integrated graphic card instead. I'd tried many solutions such as trying a new cable, reinstalling my GPU card into the PCI slot, reinstalling my RAMs, the CMOS battery method to reset the bios, I'd made sure that my GPU is working by looking at its fan (the fan was running the entire time) and I'd made sure that the cables are not faulty. Currently, my monitor is connected to the motherboard and I'd like to know what is the solution for this. I don't know if this is related to my monitor or my GPU. I don't think the matter is related to my power supply because I didn't see any input/output on the GPU that can be connected to the power supply (I might be wrong though). Did I do anything wrong? Is there something I'd missed? I bought a new monitor a few days ago and it's on the way to my place though.

Note: I only bought a new motherboard, so I'd just removed all the other components from my older PC and moved it into my new PC case.

Last edited:
Solution
You see modern GPUs are weird in a way, You can attach the Monitor to the inbuilt GPU and make the dGPU for processing. So my guess is your 1050 is defective in a way it can't handle a monitor output but still be able to process Graphic load on it.

So, earlier when you connect the VGA to Motherboard, you have been actually using that connection to output to the monitor. But your dGPU is used for graphic processing.

You can try DVI / HDMI to VGA convertor to connect your monitors VGA cable to the motherboard and connect the HDMI cable to the 1050 to simulate the previous results.
Mar 6, 2022
what is your current monitor?

Is it 4k or something? Wonder why it only runs if it has 2 signals

My current monitor is ViewSonic VA2419 (VS)
https://www.viewsonic.com/eu/products/archive/VA2419-sh

Just in case you're wondering about my new monitor, it's AOC G2490VX (AOC)
https://us.aoc.com/en-US/gaming/products/monitors/g2490vx

To answer your question, to be honest I don't know myself.

The last time I remember, I'd connected the VS monitor with two cables, a VGA cable to the motherboard and an HDMI to DVI cable to the GPU and that's the only way that worked for the monitor to detect my GPU. It also worked with only an HDMI cable connected to the GPU. Now that I have two monitors, I was planning on using both of them but now I'm in the middle of this problem. Currently, I am using an HDMI cable from the VS monitor to connect to the motherboard for now. About the other monitor though, I don't know what to think anymore.

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
So, you were saying, you have connected a VGA cable to the Motherboard as well as HDMI cabal to the GPU. This is for the same monitor. How did you know that you are using the 1050 and not the inbuilt GPU? Cause this is odd. The monitor needs only one cable to operate. Not two.

Also, in the monitor there should be an input selector. Did you try setting this to HDMI, since you are connected your GPU to the monitor via this?

Mar 6, 2022
So, you were saying, you have connected a VGA cable to the Motherboard as well as HDMI cabal to the GPU. This is for the same monitor. How did you know that you are using the 1050 and not the inbuilt GPU? Cause this is odd. The monitor needs only one cable to operate. Not two.

Also, in the monitor there should be an input selector. Did you try setting this to HDMI, since you are connected your GPU to the monitor via this?

Yes, at first I thought it was really odd too, but whatever makes your boat floats, I guess.
I also tried changing the input, but somehow my computer only shows the HDMI input and when I tried to change to VGA input, it somehow reverts back to the HDMI input. I knew thaat it wasn't the in-built GPU because I double-checked in Task Manager and that I had the NVIDIA Geforce Experience running behind the background.

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
You see modern GPUs are weird in a way, You can attach the Monitor to the inbuilt GPU and make the dGPU for processing. So my guess is your 1050 is defective in a way it can't handle a monitor output but still be able to process Graphic load on it.

So, earlier when you connect the VGA to Motherboard, you have been actually using that connection to output to the monitor. But your dGPU is used for graphic processing.

You can try DVI / HDMI to VGA convertor to connect your monitors VGA cable to the motherboard and connect the HDMI cable to the 1050 to simulate the previous results.

Solution
Mar 6, 2022

I see, so that explains the method I used on my older PC.
The method that you suggested to me seems to be working. Thank you for your help and I give credits to others for helping me too though I have another question. You said that my GPU is defective in a way that it can't handle the monitor's output but still able to process the graphic load. Is it a high chance that it's because of the power supply or is it related with the PCI-E slot or anything else?

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
I guess the fault is related to the Graphic card itself. When doing things like this, there's a penalty to the performance when gaming in terms of FPS.

Cause your 1050 will process the Task and then have to send each frame to iGPU to send to the monitor. Something similar to optimus enabled laptops.

If you think my answer is correct, you can select it as solution.