Question My PC freezes randomly but mouse cursor can still move and i can hear others.

Jan 1, 2021
For 3 days now my PC freezes randomly but mostly it freezes during gaming. I can move my mouse and interact with somethings, i also can hear my friends on discord but they cant hear me. Only a hard reboot works, i cant reboot with CTRL+ALT+DEL it just goes into an infinite loop. Can someone help me with this? Thank you in advance

Jan 1, 2021
full specs of your pc ?
what you've done to try fix this problem ?
Ryzen 5 2600
Rx 580
G. SKILL 2x8GB 3200 MHz
ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING
SanDisk 240GB SSD
WD BLUE 1TB HDD
Windows 10

I've downloaded the SanDisk Dashboard to check my SSD health and updated the driver, i've checked Windows updates but its up to date

Jan 26, 2021
i have been having the exact same issue. im not sure if it is wallpaper engine but this has only been happening to me after i replaced all of my storage with a new 2tb sabrent rocket q4 nvme. this has been happening to me on a daily basis. edit: another forum said it was NZXT CAM software causing the freeze. im going to try this uninstalling it for a week and see what happens.

Last edited:

RustyBeefySmack

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
i have been having the exact same issue. im not sure if it is wallpaper engine but this has only been happening to me after i replaced all of my storage with a new 2tb sabrent rocket q4 nvme. this has been happening to me on a daily basis. edit: another forum said it was NZXT CAM software causing the freeze. im going to try this uninstalling it for a week and see what happens.
It seems like it's not Wallpaper Engine, I've tried with it uninstalled with no success. I think it's related to Windows 10 and driver compatibility.
Here's some other threads with people that have almost exactly the same problem, there's been a lot of discussion but no solution yet:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/ksq3fg/my_pc_has_weird_partial_freezes_which_require/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/random-reboots-windows-crashes.3681544/

I've freshly installed windows a week ago and have yet to experience a freeze like that again. I'm gonna wait at least a month, after that I think I can call my problem fixed.

Pigus

Honorable
Apr 2, 2017
I had the same problem on my R7 5800x. It was working fine when I built it last Jan 2021, then started having a problem this Feb 2021.
I though it was Wallpaper Engine at first, but its not.

Does it look like this, Link?

RustyBeefySmack

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
I had the same problem on my R7 5800x. It was working fine when I built it last Jan 2021, then started having a problem this Feb 2021.
I though it was Wallpaper Engine at first, but its not.

Does it look like this, Link?
It does look like that. For me, freshly installing Windows 10 fixed it, as I think it was caused by some driver(s). But I see you're using NZXT CAM and in the reddit thread I posted above some people were speculating it was caused by that software specifically. You might want to take a look at it. It's in the comments.