[SOLVED] My pc keeps having applications crash after getting new ram and updating bios

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
So I got new ram because one of my old ram sticks was faulty and i wanted 16gb again. I put the ram in and started my computer up. First thing i noticed was that it said only half of it was useable. I tried updating my bios to fix it and it didnt work then after a reboot or 2 it fixed itself? but now my spotify, gtav, division2, and discord crash every once in a while. It seems to happen when I'm playing a game. I tried sfc /scannow and i get the following message. (I will attach the CBS.log)

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sGyCVOs-IaMTN8BtmjKrK5jVxv_KYE8q

What should I do? (Side note I bought the pc on CyberPower so I'm a bit confused on the parts I have but I will list the ones I know.)
Thank you for any help!

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700x 3.4ghz
Motherboard: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145009
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5
Power Supply: Apevia 800watt Bronze 80 plus power supply?
The new ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 (CMK 16GX4M2B3000C15)
The bios has X.M.P on profile 1 so the ram can run at improved speed. Not sure its relevant but hope I provided enough information.

Solution
There's no way to test if its the PSU? Any good cheap PSU's you would recommend? This one came from cyberpower.

No real easy way to test them with knowing what you are doing.
Good and Cheap aren't normally works that go well together when describing PSU.

I would get a PSU from Seasonic, might cost a little more but pretty much all their PSU will give the power you need. A good brand PSU is less likely to kill other parts before it dies. Cheaper PSU brands don't worry about protections that can rescue you and other parts.

You don't need an 800 watt PSU either, probably no more than 600 max. ONly need more if you running 2 GPU.

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
After getting new ram my pc started having issues. I made a post about it here. I used sfc /scannow and I got the following message:
"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."
Log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sGyCVOs-IaMTN8BtmjKrK5jVxv_KYE8q

How should I proceed? I can't play a game for more than a few minutes without it crashing. Often Discord and Spotify crash with it.
Thank you for any help!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You say the problem only occurred after adding new RAM, did you add this in with other RAM? just to clarify.
Have you installed them as per your motherboard manual?
Have you cleared CMOS?
Have you tried running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth in an elevated command prompt?
Do you say it only crashes in games? Does it just crash to desktop?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
In addition to what PC Tailor has said, which is good advice, SFC has never been a perfect tool and the error you're getting is not uncommon.

I still use SFC, but always follow it up with DISM, particularly if SFC gives an error message, but often even if it doesn't:

If that combination doesn't do the trick, Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file, is next.

Reactions: PC Tailor

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
You say the problem only occurred after adding new RAM, did you add this in with other RAM? just to clarify.
Have you installed them as per your motherboard manual?
Have you cleared CMOS?
Have you tried running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth in an elevated command prompt?
Do you say it only crashes in games? Does it just crash to desktop?

It's a brand new 2x8gb and yes its in the correct way. I just tried both clearing the CMOS and the DISM command you put. It has only crashed in games so far and it crashes to the desktop.

In addition to what PC Tailor has said, which is good advice, SFC has never been a perfect tool and the error you're getting is not uncommon.

I still use SFC, but always follow it up with DISM, particularly if SFC gives an error message, but often even if it doesn't:

If that combination doesn't do the trick, Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file, is next.

I am going to follow this link and attempt the Windows 10 repair install next!

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013

So I tried a repair install and sfc still says somethings wrong but dism doesn't. Games are still quitting out after 5ish minutes sometimes less. Here is what the command prompt said:

SFC: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag. "

DISM: No component store corruption detected. The operation completed successfully.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I can't even imagine how, after doing a repair install following the instructions I gave and with a freshly downloaded copy of the ISO file that SFC could find corruption.

Not that I'd ignore other advice offered, but you may be well on your way to needing to do a completely clean install of Windows 10. There should never be an instance where a freshly repaired Win10 instance should have problems with an SFC or DISM scan.

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Have you checked your temperatures? That would be the next thing I'd check. If your CPU gets over 70 degrees C, that can cause problems. Also I'd run memory diagnostics.

The temperature whilst playing the division is around 74C.

I can't even imagine how, after doing a repair install following the instructions I gave and with a freshly downloaded copy of the ISO file that SFC could find corruption.

Not that I'd ignore other advice offered, but you may be well on your way to needing to do a completely clean install of Windows 10. There should never be an instance where a freshly repaired Win10 instance should have problems with an SFC or DISM scan.

The sad part is I had done this before. Any other options to try?
Also this time when discord crashed(along with others) There was an error message.
"Discord: Discord.exe - Application Error
The exception unknown software exception (0xe0000008) occurred in the application at location 0x0000000076EA3442."

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is the new ram on the motherboards QLV list?

Motherboard - https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-rev-1x/support#support-doc

I have seen SFC find corruption on brand new installs before, I generally just ignore it though if PC is actually working okay.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the errors. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Try running chkdsk on the boot drive and check the corruption isn't caused by the drive instead.

Another possibility is the PSU, you would be better off with another one - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-the-apevia-atx-jp800w-psu-safe.3006253/

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Motherboard - https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-rev-1x/support#support-doc

I have seen SFC find corruption on brand new installs before, I generally just ignore it though if PC is actually working okay.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the errors. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Try running chkdsk on the boot drive and check the corruption isn't caused by the drive instead.

Another possibility is the PSU, you would be better off with another one - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-the-apevia-atx-jp800w-psu-safe.3006253/
This was my thought too, I've equally seen SFC find corruption on new installs, and nearly always this was either RAM or storage.

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013

So I just realized that it actually has been saying
"Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver."
and it wasn't popping up it was just hiding the notification in the sidebar (or I may not have noticed) maybe this is why it only crashes when playing games?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have seen that error before, I have had it myself though I have a Nvidia gpu. MIne was worse as at least yours just crashes to desktop, the basic driver can't run my screen and it would turn it off. MIne ended up not even being the GPU and was another part of PC causing it

Do you have latest AMD drivers?

it could be your PSU causing it still, its not a good brand. It might say 800 on side but whether it can actually provide it is another thing.

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
I have seen that error before, I have had it myself though I have a Nvidia gpu. MIne was worse as at least yours just crashes to desktop, the basic driver can't run my screen and it would turn it off. MIne ended up not even being the GPU and was another part of PC causing it

Do you have latest AMD drivers?

it could be your PSU causing it still, its not a good brand. It might say 800 on side but whether it can actually provide it is another thing.

I Have had driver issues with this computer in the past. I went to update them and got issues so i ended up rolling back. I attempted to update after the ram had caused this issue to see if it fixed it. The new ram has a higher mhz too. Would that draw more power causing an issue? Is there a way I can test to see if its the PSU?

Colif

Win 11 Master
faster ram doesn't use more power.

did you try to update driver recently then?

playing games is when PC is under the most stress though so if it is PSU at heart of problem, it could be causing all sorts of odd things to happen.

problems are easier to figure out if system is crashing from drivers causing BSOD, yours isn't. GPU driver stopping doesn't mean its the cause. I went through about 5 drivers trying to fix mine.

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
faster ram doesn't use more power.

did you try to update driver recently then?

playing games is when PC is under the most stress though so if it is PSU at heart of problem, it could be causing all sorts of odd things to happen.

problems are easier to figure out if system is crashing from drivers causing BSOD, yours isn't. GPU driver stopping doesn't mean its the cause. I went through about 5 drivers trying to fix mine.

The only weird issue I'm having is that games will crash on me to desktop taking apps with it. I originally thought it was a windows error but after the repair install ruling that out I realized i had the display drivers crashing. I'm gonna try to install the oldest version of the radeon drivers I can. I would obviously like to avoid buying a new PSU if possible but I will save up for one. There's no way to test if its the PSU? Any good cheap PSU's you would recommend? This one came from cyberpower.

Colif

Win 11 Master
There's no way to test if its the PSU? Any good cheap PSU's you would recommend? This one came from cyberpower.

No real easy way to test them with knowing what you are doing.
Good and Cheap aren't normally works that go well together when describing PSU.

I would get a PSU from Seasonic, might cost a little more but pretty much all their PSU will give the power you need. A good brand PSU is less likely to kill other parts before it dies. Cheaper PSU brands don't worry about protections that can rescue you and other parts.

You don't need an 800 watt PSU either, probably no more than 600 max. ONly need more if you running 2 GPU.

Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
As Colif says: Cheap PSUs = Cheap Components = Risk to your rig.

You can tell a lot about the quality of a PSU by it's warranty.

Anything 3 years and less is concerning and I would probably never touch myself.
Anything 5 years and less is decent enough, but sometimes questionable.
Then you'll have some of the best that can be around 7 to 10+ years.

For example most Seasonics come with 10 or 12 years warranty. Because they arguably are the best. And their units are fantastic quality. For example:

• Corsair VS (poor quality) = 3 years
  • EVGA B1 series (E.g. 450B - poor quality) = 3 years
  • Corsair RM (decent quality) = 5 years
  • Seasonic Focus Plus (great quality) = 10 years
  • Corsair AXi or RMx (great quality) = 10 years.
You definitely don't need 800W, and 550W would be more than enough really. However in some case when you look at prices, you may as well spend an extra $5 and get another 100W for future upgrades if needed:

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.98 @ Newegg) - 10 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg) - 7 YEAR WARRANTY
550W version is only $73.98 - so may as well spend an extra $1

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.75 @ OutletPC) - 7 YEAR WARRANTY

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) - 7 YEAR WARRANTY

Usually the cheapest PSU that's still decent quality would be:

Power Supply:
Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.88 @ OutletPC)

From that list - the 650W TXM is the no brainer for me.