Sep 23, 2022
Hello. I recently switched my Rx580 8gb to a evga gtx 980ti sc because the old one had artificial glitches. I know that my current gpu takes alot of power, but I have a nzxt c650 80 plus gold psu. Well the problem is under high load the pc shutsdown itself forcefully and only the rgb stays on. If I want to turn the pc on again, I need to switch the psu button.But if I just surf on the internet, it seems to be running fine. Could it maybe be a CPU or Mobo problem? My cpu is a ryzen 3 3200g with 2x8GB DDR4 3200mhz and my Mobo is a MSI A320m A PRO MAX.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n4JyyK

Last edited:

Diddly

Distinguished
650W is plenty for your system. Nvidia at the time recommended 600W for the 980ti. Check that the PSU can provide enough current for your GPU - you could also try switching cables if you have a modular PSU. but it sounds like you should try upgrading to a 750W or higher.

Sep 23, 2022
Sounds like either the 980ti is drawing more power than its supposed to, or the PSU is not able to handle the requirement. Try to underclock the card and lower the in game settings.
The psu has 2x6+2 gpu pins. I dont think its the psu. Should I try to trade a card for a similar performance wise card or upgrade the psu?

Sep 23, 2022
650W is plenty for your system. Nvidia at the time recommended 600W for the 980ti. Check that the PSU can provide enough current for your GPU - you could also try switching cables if you have a modular PSU. but it sounds like you should try upgrading to a 750W or higher.
I just bought that 650w psu thinking it was enough :( sadly I cant get a refund but I had a 400w psu before. I tried switching the cables and the problem still occurs. Games like Fortnite who run on toasters also bring my ps to shutdown. could it be a mobo failure or something?

The psu has 2x6+2 gpu pins. I dont think its the psu. Should I try to trade a card for a similar performance wise card or upgrade the psu?
If you have alternate options handy, then that's a start. You need to narrow it down by switching both PSU and GPU and determine the exact cause before investing in a new part. If you don't have have spares, then a nearby PC store should be your option for testing.

Sep 23, 2022
If you have alternate options handy, then that's a start. You need to narrow it down by switching both PSU and GPU and determine the exact cause before investing in a new part. If you don't have have spares, then a nearby PC store should be your option for testing.
I have a hp prebuilt from 2012 stored and a working 500w psu. should I connect the 6 and 8pin on the 500w psu and run some games ?

TRENDING THREADS