[SOLVED] My PC shuts down randomly, usually while playing

Jun 28, 2020
Hi guys, first of all, forgive the possible mistakes I can make in this post, english is not my main language.

Since a couple of months I'm having an annoying issue with my computer, it tends to shut down suddenly, like if you had a power cut, for example. It usually happens while gaming (I know it because I normally work with this PC like 9 hours a day, and never happens), not while browsing, watching netflix or even virtualizing.

The thing is, when it happens, I have to unplug the cable from the wall for a minute or so, otherwise the PC won't start up again :-(

I thought it could be an overheating problem, but I recently installed 4 new fans in the box (now I have 6 box fans and the CPU cooler), and even replaced the thermal paste of the CPU... but system keeps crashing.

For me it looks like a problem with the PSU, thank you so much in advance!

The system config is:

Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 412S CPU Cooler

Asus Z170 PRO GAMING
Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133 PC4-17000 16GB 2X8GB CL14
Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB
WD Blue 1TB SATA3 & 2xSeagate HDDs

Box is Nox Hummer MC USB 3.0 Negra
Silverstone Strider ST70F-PB 700W 80 Plus Bronze Modular
Asus Dual GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8GB GDDR5

Solution
You are correct. This kind of problem normally is heat or power related. It sounds like you checked on overheating, so the problem is most likely a power issue. The fact that you have to unplug the computer from the wall to get it to start again makes it sound like the PSU has to be reset. I would look at replacing the PSU or using another one to test it.
You are correct. This kind of problem normally is heat or power related. It sounds like you checked on overheating, so the problem is most likely a power issue. The fact that you have to unplug the computer from the wall to get it to start again makes it sound like the PSU has to be reset. I would look at replacing the PSU or using another one to test it.

Reactions: llamamesanti
Solution
Jun 28, 2020
Thank you so much for your fast reply. Thats what I thought it could be, so I will try to use another PSU. Right now I don't have one to try, so I'll buy one these days and let you know (I hope it is PSU, if not I don't know what else could it be :()

Jun 28, 2020
Let us know what you find out.
Hey, my PSU finally arrived yesterday, I bought the Corsair RM750X, due to the good comments I found on the internet about it.

I replaced the old one and gave it a try with a bit of evening gaming... The PC is now working smoothly with no cuts or power failures (at least in the 2 hours gaming session I had yesterday), so I would say that the problem is fixed.

Thank you so much @anotherdrew for your support! Have a nice weekend ;-)

Hey, my PSU finally arrived yesterday, I bought the Corsair RM750X, due to the good comments I found on the internet about it.

I replaced the old one and gave it a try with a bit of evening gaming... The PC is now working smoothly with no cuts or power failures (at least in the 2 hours gaming session I had yesterday), so I would say that the problem is fixed.

Thank you so much @anotherdrew for your support! Have a nice weekend ;-)
The RM750X is a nice power supply ... congrats on getting this fixed.

Reactions: llamamesanti
Jun 29, 2020
Awesome to hear that you were having the same issues I am experiencing and I also suspect it's my PSU too, once I replace it I will let you know what happens, my new PSU I'm ordering is a Seasonic 750w 80+ Gold with a 10 year warranty for $180.

Jun 28, 2020
Awesome to hear that you were having the same issues I am experiencing and I also suspect it's my PSU too, once I replace it I will let you know what happens, my new PSU I'm ordering is a Seasonic 750w 80+ Gold with a 10 year warranty for $180.
If the symptoms are the same... I would say that it could be probably the same. I'll keep an eye on this, good luck! ;-)