[SOLVED] My PC with a MX500 250GB sata SSD is stuck in a restarting loop after I tried to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 in over 20+ different ways

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Here is what happened to my old PC that I was trying to install a fresh Windows 10 into a Crucial MX500 250GB Sata SSD:

1. I tried to factory reset the PC (when it was working normally) by using the "Reset this PC" option and cleaned the drive. Then the PC was stuck in a never-ending restarting loop. (So i figured that I should format and delete all the partitions and do a fresh install)
  2. I burned the latest Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft.com into a new blank 8.5GB DL DVD.
  3. I used Shift+F10 >> diskpart >> list disk >> select disk 0 >> clean : on ALL the reinstall attempts (Including for Windows 10 Home, Window 10 Home N, Windows 10 Home Single Language, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Pro N and ETC.)
  4. After each install, its the same thing over and over, the PC keeps restarting itself and never get past the 0% installing windows light blue screen.
  5. I have also tried removing the ISO DVD after the installation and nothing changed.
  6. I have also removed all the non essential USBs from the PC except the mouse and keyboard and it is still the same problem.
  7. I have also tried all the advanced options including "Start Up Repair" and that didnt work either.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Solution
well obviously, if I get another HardDrive, it defeats the whole point of trying to fix the current harddrive
im 100% sure that if i buy another SSD, the Windows 10 installation will work. That is why im not going to get a new one...
SSDs are not forever. They can fail too.
If there is a hardware problem with your SSD, then there's no other option than replacing it.

Obviously - to be certain, that it has failed, you need to diagnose it first.
This means connecting the drive to a working pc and using manufacturer diagnostic software, to check health of the drive.

TLDR
Install windows on another drive. Connect problematic drive and diagnose it.
Here is what happened to my old PC that I was trying to install a fresh Windows 10 into a Crucial MX500 250GB Sata SSD:

1. I tried to factory reset the PC (when it was working normally) by using the "Reset this PC" option and cleaned the drive. Then the PC was stuck in a never-ending restarting loop. (So i figured that I should format and delete all the partitions and do a fresh install)
  2. I burned the latest Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft.com into a new blank 8.5GB DL DVD.
  3. I used Shift+F10 >> diskpart >> list disk >> select disk 0 >> clean : on ALL the reinstall attempts (Including for Windows 10 Home, Window 10 Home N, Windows 10 Home Single Language, Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Pro N and ETC.)
  4. After each install, its the same thing over and over, the PC keeps restarting itself and never get past the 0% installing windows light blue screen.
  5. I have also tried removing the ISO DVD after the installation and nothing changed.
  6. I have also removed all the non essential USBs from the PC except the mouse and keyboard and it is still the same problem.
  7. I have also tried all the advanced options including "Start Up Repair" and that didnt work either.
Any suggestions?
What got you into this to start with?
Reseat the sata data cable ......both ends...test.
Reseat the disk power cable....test.
If you have another data cable try it.
Try a different sata port on the mobo.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
What got you into this to start with?
Reseat the sata data cable ......both ends...test.
Reseat the disk power cable....test.
If you have another data cable try it.
Try a different sata port on the mobo.
Tried all of the above and failed.

Also, if it helps to mention, I used a DDU to uninstall all the GPU drivers software before I "Reset this PC" and entered into this restart loop nightmare:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Ralston18

Titan
Start completely over with a clean install of Windows:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Install no other software, games etc. or doing anything else until Windows is done with doing whatever updates and so forth it wants to do.

Get Windows stable and working.

Then, as warranted do your driver updates but do so manually via the applicable manufacturer websites. No third party installers.

Take your time, be methodical. If you change too much at once it becomes difficult to understand the source of any problem(s) that arise.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Start completely over with a clean install of Windows:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Install no other software, games etc. or doing anything else until Windows is done with doing whatever updates and so forth it wants to do.

Get Windows stable and working.

Then, as warranted do your driver updates but do so manually via the applicable manufacturer websites. No third party installers.

Take your time, be methodical. If you change too much at once it becomes difficult to understand the source of any problem(s) that arise.
I already tried all those steps on that page and its still stuck in a restart loop.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
to my mind it is obvious that you have an issue with your bootdrive, is it a possibility for you to test this theory:

get another ssd/hdd as the sole drive connected to your system

install win on it and test it

Please let us know how it went
well obviously, if I get another HardDrive, it defeats the whole point of trying to fix the current harddrive

im 100% sure that if i buy another SSD, the Windows 10 installation will work. That is why im not going to get a new one...

SSDs are not forever. They can fail too.
If there is a hardware problem with your SSD, then there's no other option than replacing it.

Obviously - to be certain, that it has failed, you need to diagnose it first.
This means connecting the drive to a working pc and using manufacturer diagnostic software, to check health of the drive.

TLDR
Install windows on another drive. Connect problematic drive and diagnose it.

Solution