[SOLVED] My PC won't boot directly to startup. Needs to get restarted or go thru BIOS.

Scott Baban

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
My PC won't let me boot directly into the startup and it will just stuck in the loading screen, but when I restart it normally boots. Or if I go to the BIOS and set the boot manually. Please help, I think this would destroy my SSD's health if it continues to boot like this.

Specs:

Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1060 6GB
Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 3000mHz
Lexar 120GB SSD
WD Green 1TB HDD
500W PSU

Solution
That narrows down things. The problem should be between the stage BIOS posts and hands off the boot to Windows installation. Enter to the BIOS (it was the Del key IIRC, but refer to the motherboard guide) and check the boot order. Your drive with Windows installed should be at the top (or after USB and CD, but not PXE) and should have the "Windows Boot Manager" label. Also try booting anything off USB (Windows install disc or an Ubuntu Live USB should be easy to create) and see if it works. That'll narrow the cause down even more.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
May I ask which loading screen? The one which has spinning circles (just as the Windows 10 booting animation) or just the manufacturer's logo with no circles whatsoever? Any signs or unusual text in that screen? Most likely the MBR/GPT boot structure has gone bad, but need to be sure if it's anything else.

Scott Baban

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
May I ask which loading screen? The one which has spinning circles (just as the Windows 10 booting animation) or just the manufacturer's logo with no circles whatsoever? Any signs or unusual text in that screen? Most likely the MBR/GPT boot structure has gone bad, but need to be sure if it's anything else.

The Gigabyte loading screen, without the spinning circles. It just shows the Gigabyte logo, but when I restart it will normally boot with the spinning circles. Also no unusual text were shown.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
That narrows down things. The problem should be between the stage BIOS posts and hands off the boot to Windows installation. Enter to the BIOS (it was the Del key IIRC, but refer to the motherboard guide) and check the boot order. Your drive with Windows installed should be at the top (or after USB and CD, but not PXE) and should have the "Windows Boot Manager" label. Also try booting anything off USB (Windows install disc or an Ubuntu Live USB should be easy to create) and see if it works. That'll narrow the cause down even more.

Solution