Question My PC won't boot OS after installing a second HDD

Dec 29, 2020
I recently bought a 2TB Barracuda HDD because my current 1TB HDD was too small for all the games I like to play, and after screwing it into the tray and connecting the SATA cable, my PC wouldn't boot my OS, it just loaded into the Aorus Easy Safe Mode, even though the original HDD (where the OS is) was still installed

I've tried uninstalling the 2TB, switching the cable on the original HDD despite the fact it was working perfectly fine a few hours before. I've tried a number of different BIOS <Mod Edit> but my PC flat out refuses to detect that any of the Hard Drives are connected to any of the SATA ports.

I've had this new PC that I built myself for four months now, and not even being able to boot it despite all I've tried has really pissed me off. I was just gonna give up and forget about my PC entirely, but I figured I'd give it one last try. Specs below and thanks in advance for any help.

Aorus Z390 Pro Motherboard
i3-8100 CPU
(No real clue what the original HDD is because it came in a preinstalled PC but it has been working fine without any problems for around sic years now)
2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
850W Corsair RMx Series RM850x, Full Modular, 80 PLUS Gold, SLI/CrossFire, Single Rail, 70.8A, 135mm Fan, ATX PSU
Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh RGB Midi-Tower

Dec 29, 2020
Revert your motherboard's Bios to default, connect the HDD with OS installed to see if it boot.

You should try different SATA cables and ports, swap the cable ends....
I can't find out how to reset the BIOS to default? The manual doesn't seem to say and finding out online isn't too helpful.

I've tried all the different SATA slots and the three cables I have, and it won't detect anything from the SATA ports at all

Sounds like I have to do the wiring, again, great

What wiring? The battery on your motherboard is there.

You also have CLR_CMOS jumper at the lower right corner, your motherboard's manual should tell you what pins to short, usually the pins 2 & 3.

13-145-098-V01.jpg

Dec 29, 2020
Revert your motherboard's Bios to default, connect the HDD with OS installed to see if it boot.

You should try different SATA cables and ports, swap the cable ends....
I reset the BIOS and it didn't work, it won't detect any SATA input from any of the 4 wires I have, 3 of which have never been used before, no mattee which port I plug them into