[SOLVED] My pcie is 6 pin but my gpu is 8

quirky_jr

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
Hey there, I’m currently building a new pc but I’m using my current psu on the new build. I noticed that my evga 2060 sc ultra is a 8 pin. Can I still run that or do I have to find a new psu?

Solution
if you do not have the needed connections on the PSU you NEED a new PSU.
a 6 pin can deliver 75W, the 8 pin can provide 150W.
the card will not start without the proper amount of power and a 6 pin is only half of what it needs.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if you do not have the needed connections on the PSU you NEED a new PSU.
a 6 pin can deliver 75W, the 8 pin can provide 150W.
the card will not start without the proper amount of power and a 6 pin is only half of what it needs.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
You could use one of these given that your PSU meets the GPU power requirements.

https://www.newegg.com/en-labs-10cm-4-inch-pcie-6pin-to-8pin/p/1W7-005X-00005

would that work, the sense pin that allows higher wattage is needed on the PSU side. the 6 pin does not have a sense pin and no way to get signal from sense pin that the needs are higher.

@quirky Jr. if you must use an adapter make sure you use a dual 6-pin to single 8-pin adapter and you can get the needed wattage, sans sense pin.
you will need two six pin headers to make the 150W needed.
do you have a PSU model with 2x6-pin headers?

Reactions: King_V
My current psu is Be Quiet! Dark 11 pro 550 platinum. I went looking for the old box and I found vga connectors but it’s for duel gpu. I tried it but the computer won’t boot up.

What does this even mean?

A Dark Power Pro 11 comes with two cables. One has a single 6+2 an the other has two 6+2 in a "pig tail" configuration.

An EVGA RTX 2060 has a single 8-pin. You can use EITHER of those cables. The one with two connectors, you just leave one of the connectors loose and unused.

quirky_jr

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2016
What does this even mean?

A Dark Power Pro 11 comes with two cables. One has a single 6+2 an the other has two 6+2 in a "pig tail" configuration.

An EVGA RTX 2060 has a single 8-pin. You can use EITHER of those cables. The one with two connectors, you just leave one of the connectors loose and unused.
Everything's all good now. I used the vga cables, at first it didn't work but I disconnected and reconnected and it works. Also, the reason why my pc wouldn't boot because I had the outlet turned off lmao!!! I reconnected all my cables to my old pc just to realize I had the plug turned off. WHAT A DAY!!

My current psu is Be Quiet! Dark 11 pro 550 platinum. I went looking for the old box and I found vga connectors but it’s for duel gpu. I tried it but the computer won’t boot up.

That's an okay PSU. I'm surprised it doesn't have an 8 pin connector. 550 Watts should be enough for a 2060 super.

The 2 additional pins are 2 ground pins. They don't actually carry any power. The GPU checks to see if the pins are connected to ground. If they are, then the GPU knows the cables attached to the graphics card are of sufficient gauge (thickness) and available current to handle 150 Watts (6 pins are 75 watts) .

Some people do use cheater adapters, but you risk voltage sag, melting wires/connectors, and unexplained crashes.