Question My USB keyboard and mouse disconnect/reconnect whenever the UPS makes electrical noises ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avkash9995

Prominent
May 12, 2022
Since a few days, my usb keyboard and mouse reconnect when ups makes electrical noises. It seems to be related to voltage fluctuations and i have experienced a few power cuts recently. When i manually switched off power to ups, the keyboard and mouse worked normally.
When i played elden ring, the problem seems to extend to gpu and screen freezes for few seconds as well.
Overall; ups makes noise, keyboard and mouse lights stop for few seconds and they reappear soon, if i am typing the alphabet gets spammed till it reconnects. Sometimes there is usb connection sound. Both have RGB.
I have unchecked "suspend power to usb" thing for all usb i saw. Also updated my logitech mouse recently.

Another thing, probably not related, i checked the msi afterburner graphs for gpu voltage, it jumped from 0.656 to 0.843 for 1 sec. Then it dropped and went up again for half a minute. Then it dropped again, followed by up for for 30 second. Rinse and repeat.
It also happens when i alt+tab.
Can someone please tell me whats happening with both of these ?

According to system information, i have:
Processor: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6 core 3400 MHz
Baseboard: ASUSTeK EX-A320M-GAMING
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: gtx 1080

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
UPS: make and model? How old? History of use where there are many power outages and/or fluctuations?

Has the UPS battery ever been changed?

Are you using any other surge protectors, power strips in addition to the UPS?

Also system:

PSU - make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Do you keep trying to play when the voltage fluctuations occur or simply exit Eldenring and do a normal Windows power icon shutdown?

Avkash9995

Prominent
May 12, 2022
Psu: Circle CG Raw Power 650W SMPS 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certification Modular PSU With Active PFC
I bought it new in 2019.

Case:CIRCLE ELEGANTOR (ATX) Mid Tower Cabinet - With Transparent Side Panel (Black-Red)

Ups: elnova private limited, model T1002.
It should be about 5 years or older. Its got 2 battery which has not been changed. I dont use additional stuff.

I am from india and power fluctuations is common. I usually continue playing for a few minutes. Sometimes when i am hardcore raiding, i play till pc shuts down. Have done it 2 months ago.
This reconnecting of usb is very recent, about 3 days.
The first time i noticed the problem i was playing ffxiv. I continued playing because it returned to normal in 4 seconds.

There is a history of a burned up fan control wire at middle. It happened months after i bought the psu in 2019. This wire was internal wire going up to frontal fan control of case. Cause seemed to be faulty wiring. It was discarded and removed.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Some thoughts:

First of all the PSU may be nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life). Probably starting to falter and fail especially when wattage demands suddenly increase.

Second, if you keep playing while there are power problems and play right up until the pc shuts down then it is very likely that the shutdown will cause file corruption problems.

Third, removing the burned up wire may have affected cooling or otherwise created some problem with respect to the system.

Fourth, what ever caused that burned up fan control wire may still be a lurking/pending problem.

What to do:

Computer

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for other signs of damage: melted insulation, bare conductor showing, browned or blackened areas/components, swollen components, kinked or pinched wires. Loose or missing screws. Cracked fan housings or fan blades. Corrosion/rust. Leaking components.

Do not open the PSU - there is nothing in there that you can fix and attempting to do so is dangerous.

Files

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to repair corrupted files.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

UPS

Check the UPS documentation. Ensure that the UPS is still functioning correctly. For example if the UPS has taken a number of power hits then any surge protection
may now be non-existent. Continuing to play games may come to a more damaging halt if some electrical surge gets through to the PSU/Computer.

= = = =

Still I believe that the PSU is the most likely culprit.

Do you know anyone who can loan you another PSU for testing purposes? Family, friend, co-worker? (If you do try another PSU remember do not mix in cables from other PSUs.)

= = = =

Lastly, as you always should be doing, ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the computer. Ensure that the backups are recoverable and readable.

The next power fluctuation(s) may go beyond what the UPS, PSU, and computer can absorb. That will end badly.

Avkash9995

Prominent
May 12, 2022
I am thinking of getting a voltage stabilizer. Would that be any help to prevent the accessories disconnecting?
Or is this purely a psu problem?
I noticed that the reconnecting problem only happen when the noise from ups happen.
I have checked connections on the motherboard and seem ok. Even if i switch off the main power, the ups seems to go into battery mode instantly and no disconnections happen.

Avkash9995

Prominent
May 12, 2022
Update:
Now its affecting my monitor as well. I just connected my ps4 and monitor to update something.
Every time the ups makes a clicking sound, the monitor turns off and back on.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Ok...there are some problems that you have even with your setup.

Firstly, you must replace your PSU. Circle Gaming PSUs are generally not very good and don't last that long. And on top of that, it's bronze rated which is generally not the most reliable as the components are cheaply made. Gold rated tends to be more reliable and from that of reputable brands.

I would link you to the PSU branding that Tom's hardware has listed but since you said India, your options are limited and Seasonic isn't available in India yet(which means like me you need to import it but if you ask me, its worth it).

These are decent alternatives that are gold-rated unless someone here can correct me on this.

ASUS ROG STRIX 650 W Gold rated

https://amzn.to/3sRkQFY

CORSAIR RM 650W Full Modular 80 Plus Gold

https://bit.ly/3wxSV0a

If you want other options, I suggest buying from here

https://www.tpstech.in/collections/power-supply

Again I recommend that you get at least gold rated and ensure that you get full range input from 100-240V.

Now I know this is going to require a bit if investment but trust me when I tell you this, getting a better PSU is worth the hassle. I had once Corsair VS 650 which is by today's standards...terrible, and I replaced it with Seasonic one thanks to my uncle and my PC has never caused issues since.

Secondly, your UPS should also be replaced. Why? Because its not doing its job of protecting your devices from power surges...and doing a bit of research shows that its not a well known UPS you bought. I suggest you get an APC one as they are very reliable.

Either way, you must either get yourself a new PSU that is for certain.

And lastly, there will come to a point that proper earthing is in play here so I suggest you examine the earthing in your building by getting an electrician. DO NOT DO THIS BY YOURSELF! IT IS DANGEROUS!

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
You really shouldn't use a PSU's efficiency rating as a quality rating. They are not the same thing.

I am just saying that going gold rated gives better quality components than that of bronze rated which in this case is true since the PSU in question is cheap quality.

You can get high quality bronze rated PSUs but those are very hard to find than that of gold.

bignastyid

Titan
I am just saying that going gold rated gives better quality components than that of bronze rated which in this case is true since the PSU in question is cheap quality.

You can get high quality bronze rated PSUs but those are very hard to find than that of gold.
Just because it is true in some case does not make it a good argument.
Gigabyte has some gold rated units that were catching fire.
There are also many shady manufactures that just straight up lie about efficiency use golden samples to get a rating or just use fake badges, because they hope people like you will just say it's gold rated so it must be good.
Using a units advertised efficiency rating as a quality measurement is just poor/lazy advice.

Circle PSUs suck - Agree

Gold rated PSUs are all great - Uh, nope. There are plenty of Gold rated PSUs out there that I wouldn't trust to power a 60 cent light bulb, much less my hardware costing in excess of hundreds or thousands of dollars.

There are even a few Platinum and Titanium units out there that should be avoided.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/80-plus-psu-efficiency,4848-8.html

We don't recommend "gold rated" power supplies. We recommend power supplies that have been built using proven platforms, and have been professionally reviewed and found to be reliable and trustworthy, using quality components and designs. There are plenty of these to be found but it requires actually LOOKING for them, especially if you live in a less developed region where selection is minimal. There are no places that I know of where there are none to be found, it's just that in some places quality is going to really cost you but you aren't saving yourself any money buy saving yourself money, because it just costs you more in the end.

And all of that is not even including the fact that there are a LOT of power supplies out there that won't work well, or at all, with specific types of UPS backup systems because of the type of wave forms they use. In some cases, you could have a perfectly good power supply and a perfectly good UPS backup system and they will not play nice together because they are simply not based on compatible technologies. Before buying a PSU or a UPS, if you are going to use both, it is prudent to verify that they are going to work together without problems, because they are not all going to.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Well I did mention gold rated ones from reputable brands and I'm aware that there are those like gigabyte that aren't good(not sure if gigabyte is a good brand for PSUs...)

But ok I get that efficiency ratings should not be used to decide on what PSU to buy. However...that doesn't mean bronze rated PSUs are as good as Gold rated ones unless you look hard enough for those and in the case of India...there are as I mentioned before not a lot of options to choose from.

So in TCs case, gold rated is the only way to get a better lasting PSU EVEN though it shouldn't be because the PSUs that offer high quality parts in them are the ones with gold rated only which are costly.

Also some like Jerry do recommend gold rated PSUs

View: https://youtu.be/bUh2EZzJZRU

Last edited:
Also some like Jerry do recommend gold rated PSUs

Jerry?

You mean "Jay"?

I wouldn't give Jay 2 cents for what he knows about power supplies in comparison to the people who actually know about power supplies. And even Jay would likely be inclined to make recommendations on SPECIFIC models of Gold rated power supply, not just "Gold rated", which, in more cases that I have time to find and post here, would often result in getting a piece of garbage.

Here's a few more examples of what SHOULD be REQUIRED reading for anybody that wants to start making recommendations about power supplies.

https://www.sevenforums.com/pc-cust...y-80-plus-irrelevant-you-when-buying-psu.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/psu-buying-guide,2916.html

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Again..even with your posts(especially the buying guide), there is mentions of gold-rated ones having more quality than the others despite them being at a high price because of the features they have that a lot of Bronze rated PSUs don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.