Question NAS *and* emulation. Proxmox? A linux build? Old windows home server?

Aug 17, 2024
Looking to build a combo rig that has NAS functionality, but can also run emulation (ps2, gamecube and prior).

I currently have available:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
16GB DDR4
ASUS Rog strix mobo (B550 I think)?
ASUS Rog Strix GTX 1060 6GB.
i52400 + mobo and maybe 32gb of DDR3 1333mhz ram.
GT610 and a couple of Dell Optiplexs that are "Vista Ready" with Core2Duos. (The one with the GT610 is my XP build, but that's changing soon too.)

Clearly I'm going to need to buy some HDDs - I'm all good with that.

My question is, am I good with running the Ryzen 5 and upping the RAM to at least 32GB (I'll probs just go to the max of the mobo); I don't really want a full/mid tower case though. I currently have a CoolerMaster 500P mesh - the one with the two 20cm fans on the front. It's a bit too big for this build. Switching to a low profile GPU, I assume a 1050 be sufficient for emulation?

Case wise, an optical drive would be useful - I'd like to be able to rip straight to the NAS/server side of things.

Excl. HDDs, I'm looking at a budget of £500 (uk moneys) I'm not including an NVME drive in the budget either, as I'll add one to use for OS and system stuff. Will use a RAID setup with redundancy. Happy to go "fewer drives, more capacity" to reduce need for 3.5" drive bays.

Use case 1: Storage
Storing lossless (FLAC) of approx 200 CDs
200 DVDs
200-250 Blu Rays
Approx 100 4k Blurays (yeah, I know it's a pain to rip those). (Will want to rip in high quality, as close to lossless as possible)
Document/file storage. Maybe 500gb of stuff created over the past 30 years (I have everything going back to my primary school days, haha)

Film and CD collection grows yearly. As 4k or blu ray remasters come out of the DVDs, I'll replace the DVD rips.

Use case 2: Emulation:
Ability to emulate NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, Gamecube. (Not interested in Xbox or things beyond that as I have the consoles themselves)

Use case 3:
Home cinema. Ideally - alhtough probably complicates things more - I'd like to be able to connect this straight to my tv so I can use the TV as the screen for emulation and the computer for file playback. If file playback is too much, I'm sure I can stream to the TV or another device (LG C2 60", Sony AHT7000 soundbar w/atmos surrounds, PS5, Xbox One). I've previously struggled with sound-out from HTPCs and surround sound, so don't really want to meddle with that, especially as I'm not sure how the soundbar would cope with an optical input from the PC. Stereo from the TV for emulation is fine, somehow I don't think ps2 games support Atmos haha.

Use case 4: Other functionality
Ability to switch DNS servers from my ISP, possibility to have a VPN running.
Ad blocking (PiHole?)
External file access (IE I can access it when I work away from home to watch films)
Home Assistant as I continually work to automate my home.

It's been a long time since I've done anything server or network related. I'm quite happy getting down and dirty with a command prompt/powershell.

In proxmox's containers could I hypothetically run an OS with the emulators?

I'm not too worried by standby power usage - I've got a "bachelor pad" and my energy use is pretty low anyway, so 100w standby is ok. Clearly the lower the better haha.

Should I just buy a Lenevo/HP workstation with a Xeon and go from there?

Any help appreciated! I appreciate there's probably a fair few questions in there haha.