velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a NAS (maybe the QNAP TS-653D) and using it as the surveillance station with 3 cameras. how much of an impact would it be on my 1Gbps network? Let's say I have 3 cameras recording video and I'm streaming a 4k movie stored on that NAS (not using the NAS as a plex server) on my Win10 PC which is being used as the Plex server. Would the movie be nice and smooth without choppiness?

Solution
It will probably come with 4gb, but mine can handle at least 16 even though it technically only supports upto 8.
Mine came with 2GB.
Knowing that wasn't enough, I bought a single 8GB.
Then...why not try it...bought another 8GB for the other slot. If it didn't work, I'd simply send it back for a refund.
Specs for the NAS state 8GB, specs for the CPU state 8GB

But...
lXAM1R2.png

Sitting here mostly idle:
KKwYU4c.png
This is mostly a disk question more than a network. The ethernet cable can send 1gbit and receive 1gbit at the same time. Since the traffic you are talking about is in opposite directions it will not have much impact. Even if it was security camera tend to compress the data before it is sent.

The disk depend on the type of drives you have and the type of raid you have setup. There are actual disk drives designed for security systems that increase the performance of write traffic.

USAFRet

Titan
The cameras connected directly to the NAS? Or to a switch and then the NAS?

Either way, should be zero impact. Any modern switch or router is capable of gigabit on each port.

Now...recording the cameras TO the NAS, and playing video FROM the NAS at the same time...that may have an impact. But only as regards the actual NAS performance. Not the network.

But I've done a performance test on my QNAP TS-453a:
Playing 2 streams of 1080p video out one system
Music and 1x 1080p to 1 system
3x 1080p vids to a 3rd system
Accepting a full drive backup (~500GB) from a 4th system
Editing RAW pics from my Fuji X-T1 with Adobe Lightroom
Running its own internal backup to the USB connected TR-004 enclosure (3-4TB data)

Simultaneously.
Through 2 switches and the router.

Nary a burp. No pauses, no hesitation.

Reactions: SamirD

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
sorry I should have specified. the cameras and the NAS will be connected to a 1Gbps switch. And yes I will be recording the cameras to the NAS, but only viewing the recordings if there is an incident. so if the NAS is writing 3 x 1080p on one HDD and reading 1 x 4k video on another HDD/volume, then I should be able to watch the movie without pauses?

USAFRet

Titan
sorry I should have specified. the cameras and the NAS will be connected to a 1Gbps switch. And yes I will be recording the cameras to the NAS, but only viewing the recordings if there is an incident. so if the NAS is writing 3 x 1080p on one HDD and reading 1 x 4k video on another HDD/volume, then I should be able to watch the movie without pauses?
Yes.
The only limitation might the actual NAS performance. Not the network.

USAFRet

Titan
It will probably come with 4gb, but mine can handle at least 16 even though it technically only supports upto 8.
Mine came with 2GB.
Knowing that wasn't enough, I bought a single 8GB.
Then...why not try it...bought another 8GB for the other slot. If it didn't work, I'd simply send it back for a refund.
Specs for the NAS state 8GB, specs for the CPU state 8GB

But...
lXAM1R2.png

Sitting here mostly idle:
KKwYU4c.png

Solution