Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreennico

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
So I recently did a sweep of upgrades for my computer and have been having constant issues with most games crashing. The crashes are sometimes CTDs, hard freezes, or freezes with audio still playing in the background. Titanfall 2 has given me a specific graphics error sometimes before closing as well.

Here are specs:

PSU: EVGA 700w Bronze
Mobo: MSI X470 Gaming Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: Gigabyte/Aourus GeForce 1080ti
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB (A family member gave this one to me, so I'm afraid I don't have the packaging and had some difficulty finding the exact model, but I think this is specific enough)
Monitor: AGON AG241QX 144hz 24" ( I play with G-Sync disabled, by the way)

Now a few games have been working fine for the past few weeks, but most games I touch end up crashing. The games that have been flawless so far have been Deep Rock Galactic, League of Legends,Destiny 2 (only played a little bit of that though) and Stick Fight: The Game. However, Wolfenstein: The New Order, DOOM (2016), and Titanfall 2 have all had crashing issues. Sometimes the game will crash as soon as I load into it, and other times, I can play for a few hours with no issue. I don't believe I've ever crashed on a menu, so it seems like the issue only crops up when the system has actually run the game.

Another note is with Warframe - it was initially in the "constantly crashing" category, but since turning down the anti-aliasing from the higher setting to the lowest one, the game has gotten stable. Played for several hours straight with no issues. In-game settings got reset at some point (meaning the AA got turned back up), and I started crashing again. Turned it back down and it's stable again. Did the same thing with DOOM, but to no avail. That game still crashes incessantly.

I've been watching my GPU and CPU temps, and while they do get up there (hovering around 69°C - 72°C at it's highest) I believe they remain in the manufacturer's stated safe operating limits. The air coming out of the vents by the CPU and GPU are both a fairly room-temp temperature. However, the area around my PSU gets quite hot - both the air coming out the back and the case in contact with it. My case doesn't have great airflow, and I'm looking into buying a new one with better flow, and more room for fans (I currently only have one intake on the front, and one exhaust right by the PSU in the back), but, I'm hesitant to move the components right now, just in case this issue stems from faulty hardware in need of replacement.

I've done two clean installs of the latest drivers for my GPU, one from the website's downloadable installer, and the other from the GeForce Experience, and my BIOS is up to date as well. I haven't changed anything in the BIOS, nor do I have anything overclocked. Windows is up to date.

So I'm really trying to figure out what might be the issue right now. I've had this system for a few weeks now, and the issues have been present the whole time. It booted up the first time I tried after installing the new hardware with no issues. Haven't had any Windows crashes or errors, only with games. Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
I am wondering if you solved that problem or not. I have nearly same system but I have exactly same problem...

I did, in fact. My setup has changed a bit since then, with an upgrade on the PSU to a Corsair RM750, and also installed Windows onto a new SSD. What actually solved the issue though, was indeed switching out the RAM I had installed. Despite Memtest running and finding nothing, and all the other checks I did, swapping the RAM out with a different set completely solved the issues and I've had 0 recurring errors with my computer since.

I swapped out the 2x 8GB Corsair RAM I had installed, with my dad's 2x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws RAM. As I said, the Ripjaws have given me 0 issues, while the Corsair caused all sorts. What's...

thegreennico

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
So we can add Prey to the list of games that crash. I got a DX_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG message after a CTD from it earlier today, which is a similar message that I got from Titanfall 2 one time. Looked into it a bit, and found this thread about Apex Legends, where someone solved the issue by installing graphics drivers from December 2018. I went and did that, and Prey ran well for an hour or two, but Wolfenstein ended up crashing again afterwards. I'll probably put some more time into Prey to see if it's issue is actually solved or not.

Made sure my DirectX is up to date by checking for Windows updates, and no new updates were available. Ran the check several times, before and after a system reboot.

thegreennico

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
bump

Still dealing with this issue every day and I can't really play much. I have no clue what a solution might be, other than buying a hundreds of dollars of new hardware until it works.

thegreennico

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
When doing a fresh install there wouldn't be on old windows to delete which makes me think you did only a reset?
Hm, could be. I'm no expert. I believe it detected the old install of Windows, but I did a new installation and it created windows.Old in my Program Files. Did I do a bad?

I would definitely run Memtest86+ just to be sure it isn't the RAM causing the problem:
I'll run Memtest and get back to you.

could be the gpu. got another one for test?
Yeah I'll try that if the others fail.

Jun 20, 2019
"DX_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG" makes me think it's something with the GPU but i did read stuff and some people talked about reinstalling windows, try that after you try anything else.

thegreennico

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
"DX_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG" makes me think it's something with the GPU but i did read stuff and some people talked about reinstalling windows, try that after you try anything else.
I also read somewhere that that was solved with installing an older driver, one from December. I installed that and while I didn't get that error (I only spent about an hour running the game that gave it to me), other games still crashed. I've since uninstalled my display drivers with DDU and done a clean install of the latest drivers. Still no improvement.

Edit: I'm editing this post since I don't think this news is quite worthy of a full post. Deep Rock Galactic, one of the games that has historically run fine, froze last night and required a Task Manager close. I also installed Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines (with the Unofficial Patch), and that game ran fine for two hours, until I quit playing. No issues with it it all, ironically. I'm considering downloading F.E.A.R. and testing that out. Maybe it has something to do with older/newer graphics?

I've also had some trouble getting Memtest to run for some reason, so I'm hoping I get it going today.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020

thegreennico

Reputable
Jul 28, 2018
I am wondering if you solved that problem or not. I have nearly same system but I have exactly same problem...

I did, in fact. My setup has changed a bit since then, with an upgrade on the PSU to a Corsair RM750, and also installed Windows onto a new SSD. What actually solved the issue though, was indeed switching out the RAM I had installed. Despite Memtest running and finding nothing, and all the other checks I did, swapping the RAM out with a different set completely solved the issues and I've had 0 recurring errors with my computer since.

I swapped out the 2x 8GB Corsair RAM I had installed, with my dad's 2x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws RAM. As I said, the Ripjaws have given me 0 issues, while the Corsair caused all sorts. What's interesting though is that my dad is now using my old RAM, the Corsair set, in his machine, and he's gotten 0 issues as well. So the RAM seems like it was fine, but it just would not behave in my system.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.