ririx4268

Commendable
Oct 9, 2018
Greetings,
i'm considering purchasing a new budget laptop that'd i'd more than surely game on, and after around two months of delaying it, reading about models within my budget and searching through several online retailers, i've kind of had a grasp of what i want,

GPU wise, as far as the Nvidia GTX series goes, while a gtx 1050 ti is by no doubt too slow for modern titles, i found myself comfortable looking for a gtx 1060 instead,
and when it comes to processors, while i'd prefer a stronger one, i wont get one at the price of lowering the gpu or significantly the laptop's storage, that aside, the laptops that i found myself interested in were either the Dell 7577 or Dell G3-series, and most recently the MSI GV62,

Dell 7577 has a Gtx 1060 6gb-mq + i5 7300hq, G3 has a gtx 1060 6gb + i5 8300h but is slightly a budget stretch, while the MSI has a gtx 1060 3gb-m + i5 8300h.

reading about the mobile 3gb version of the gtx 1060, i found out that it has the same specifications of a 6gb model (except for the increased video ram, of course), and while i am not 100% certain how much video ram i need, but reading about it i feel like 3gb is enough,

forgetting about the G3 for a second, comparing only the 7577 and the GV62, which do you think would perform better? [knowing both come with 8gb of ram and a 1tb hdd + 128 SSD]

while more video ram would certainly allow the gtx 1060 to crank up certain games up a couple of graphic settings more, is it really worth the sacrifice of an 8th gen cpu?

p.s : opinion wise, i've been gaming on a gt 740m + i7 4700mq for like, 3 years, and trying to achieve the highest settings or higher resolutions than 1080p have never been my thing nor am i interested in them, so i'd appreciate it if you wouldnt use horrible 4k benchmarks of these gpus as reference of them being not "future proof" or so,

with that said, any opinion is greatly appreciated, what do you guys think? let me know!

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
The 7577 would, theoretically, produce better graphics due to its 6GB Vram, but, as you said, it has an older, slower processor. 3GB Vram may well not be enough for some games, though, so I would still recommend it over the GV62.

ririx4268

Commendable
Oct 9, 2018
The 7577 would, theoretically, produce better graphics due to its 6GB Vram, but, as you said, it has an older, slower processor. 3GB Vram may well not be enough for some games, though, so I would still recommend it over the GV62.
The msi series uses desktop-like gpu's in their models (except for the stealth series), hence a 1060 3gb on an msi would be quite stronger than a gtx 1060 max-q in terms of clock speeds and similar in all other specs, aside from VRAM (which only taxes when you raise graphic settings in games, even then, the ingame requirement of VRAM isnt accurate as displayed in most games as they tend to utilize more vram when its available than they actually need)