Mar 26, 2023
PC Specs:
CPU: Intel I5 4460 (3.20 ghz)
Motherboard: Biostar TB85
GPU:MSI RX Radeon 570 Armor OC 4GB
Ram: (2x)4gb Team Group Elite 1600mhz DDR3
Storage: Samsung Evo 500 gb SSD
PSU: EVGA 600W Power Supply

I've had this build for around 4 years now and have always had a problem with it. CMOS fail message pops up when I boot up the system. I get blue screen often. Gaming is difficult because just about ever game I play other than Rocket League crashes or the performance on the game will be awful even on the lowest settings. Also when playing games my CPU and Memory usage in task manager are always up to 90%. I've done all of the obvious like making sure the cables are plugged in all the way and tweaking Windows 10 settings etc. I feel like I've tried everything so I'm asking you guys for help.

You say you've always had problems with it. Poor game performance at the lowest settings.

Unless you specifically say otherwise, we can assume these are not new problems.

Hardware 9 plus years old.

I might keep the OS, storage and power supply.

How much can you spend...if anything?

You can futz around with stuff like RAM tests, HD tests, clean Windows installs, swap in a spare power supply, etc if you want. I'd keep my expectations extremely low.

Diagnosis without sophisticated instruments becomes speculative quickly. If you have a pile of spare parts to swap in, you can do some trial and error. Hardware is typically not repairable, so it can come down to money for replacements in short order.

Last edited:
If you spend 600 now, you might allot that something like this

motherboard 160
32 gb of DDR 4 RAM 70
CPU 270
power supply 100

Those are the major components of a rebuild. All of them should be reusable for another 5 years or more with decent luck. You'd get technology from last 2 or 3 years, not 9 or 10 years.

Reuse your case, drives and GPU temporarily until more money arrives. Use the stock cooler on the new CPU until and unless it proves inadequate.

Or:

"Salvage your current system". Not sure what that means without spending money. You could try a new power supply and see if that solved anything. New DDR 3 RAM would be unusable on any modern motherboard. A new replacement motherboard that used DDR 3 RAM would be a waste in my opinion.

As I said in first post, you can test your existing hardware to some extent, but if it is bad.....it needs to be replaced not repaired.

You might get lucky with a clean Windows install. That's time if not money.

Your GPU could be failing. That's a major expense to replace if you need a high powered one. Modern CPUs have built in graphics that might tide you over till more money arrives.

I just hesitate to tell you to replace old parts with new old technology parts.

Likewise wouldn't encourage you to buy used parts, but that's your call.

PC Specs:

I've had this build for around 4 years now and have always had a problem with it. CMOS fail message pops up when I boot up the system. I get blue screen often. Gaming is difficult because just about ever game I play other than Rocket League crashes or the performance on the game will be awful even on the lowest settings. Also when playing games my CPU and Memory usage in task manager are always up to 90%. I've done all of the obvious like making sure the cables are plugged in all the way and tweaking Windows 10 settings etc. I feel like I've tried everything so I'm asking you guys for help.
Does this bios error give a hint about the problem area?

8GB of ram won't work very well for gaming.
If you've got 25 bucks newegg will bump that to 2x8GB.

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-16gb..._content=59f5ad51-a66e-46a6-ab26-cfc582d48fe9

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
PC Specs:

What does the event log show?

Mar 26, 2023
Does this bios error give a hint about the problem area?

8GB of ram won't work very well for gaming.
If you've got 25 bucks newegg will bump that to 2x8GB.

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-16gb..._content=59f5ad51-a66e-46a6-ab26-cfc582d48fe9
The CMOS fail message shows at the bottom of my screen when starting up the PC, but it doesn't give me an error code or anything like that. I've already tried removing the CMOS battery for 30 seconds as well. I looked at the ram you recommended and I'll most likely buy those since you're right 8 gb of ram isn't enough for gaming.

TRENDING THREADS