Question Need help! Is HIS Radeon HD 6950 GPU is compatible with HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF?

Lutfij

Titan
The PSU that comes with the prebuilt out of the box/factory range from 280W all the way to a 400W platinum rated unit, which one do you have in your prebuilt? Even if you did have the 400W version, brand new, that PSU will not be able to power that entire system with an HD 6950. Furthermore, the case does not have the clearance for that GPU. You could work with an aftermarket harness and a 650W reliably built aftermarket PSU and have the innards of the case on a desk but that isn't a practical way of doing things.

Reactions: silverraven09

silverraven09

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
The PSU that comes with the prebuilt out of the box/factory range from 280W all the way to a 400W platinum rated unit, which one do you have in your prebuilt? Even if you did have the 400W version, brand new, that PSU will not be able to power that entire system with an HD 6950. Furthermore, the case does not have the clearance for that GPU. You could work with an aftermarket harness and a 650W reliably built aftermarket PSU and have the innards of the case on a desk but that isn't a practical way of doing things.

I have the 200W one. Is it financially better to buy a new prebuilt? Or upgrade the power supply and to accommodate the graphics card?
My son wants to play Minecraft on the computer which is why we are looking to upgrade the graphics card.

I have the 200W one. Is it financially better to buy a new prebuilt? Or upgrade the power supply and to accommodate the graphics card?
My son wants to play Minecraft on the computer which is why we are looking to upgrade the graphics card.
There's not much if any upgrading that can be done with that PC. What country are you located, what is your budget and what is your son's monitor resolution?

silverraven09

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
There's not much if any upgrading that can be done with that PC. What country are you located, what is your budget and what is your son's monitor resolution?
We initially want to save money as much as possible which is why we are trying to upgrade the prebuilt to be able to run the game.
It is a 1080p monitor. $500 is our budget - I know it is not much compared to the prices of gaming computers - plus I don't know if my son would really be into playing Minecraft.

Reactions: Why_Me
We initially want to save money as much as possible which is why we are trying to upgrade the prebuilt to be able to run the game.
It is a 1080p monitor. $500 is our budget - I know it is not much compared to the prices of gaming computers - plus I don't know if my son would really be into playing Minecraft.

For $500 you can easily buy a used working gaming system or be very close to buying new parts for one that would be a bit slower but still just fine for games. Check craigslist, see what is available in your area. Just make sure if you look at one used that you see it running a benchmark or a game for a while without crashing or visual artifacts to test the hardware.

You can also take the CPU and RAM from the existing computer, buy a motherboard/case/power supply for it and then use that video card. You will need to install Windows clean again when swapping motherboards but you will have a decent system for gaming. Keep in mind that video card is a bit old, newer ones with much less power use and smaller / quieter can be faster. The video card market seems to have stabilized again so you can find decent cards for normal prices, say a 1650 super or a new Radeon RX 6500 XT

Last edited: