Apr 1, 2021
Hello!
i have a HP 6300 PRO SFF CPU it has the following specs:
Core i5 3570 3.40 GHz
RAM:: 16 GB DDR 3 1866Mhz
GPU: Radeon R7 240 4 GB (OC Edition)
128 GB SSD
1 TB Transcend HDD
i know the system specs are pretty outdated, but ive still been able to play alot of games, and at decent fps, what i want to do is to upgrade the GPU
ik i cant expect anything big since this sytem wont support it, even if processor will, as the PSU wont, anyway i want to know if theres any low profile GPUs that are better than R7 240 4GB and can work in this pc, ive seen few like rx 550 etc, but im not sure, so i need you guys help!
Please let me know!

Solution
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

I am guessing that a graphics upgrade would do you some good.
See if you can buy a low profile card that does not need aux 6 pin power.
While a 240w psu is not the greatest, you are having no problem with your R7-240 that has a spec of 30w.
The max draw of the pcie X16 slot...
Apr 1, 2021
considering that's an 8 year old GPU that was only $70 when it came out,
just about anything <5 years old intended for gaming will completely blow it away performance-wise.

you will need to list your motherboard, your PSU, and your budget for any serious recommendations.
Hello!
Thanks for your reply!
Mobo is the default which comes with 6300 PRO SFF
Model: Hewlet-Packard 339A
PSU is also the default one, idk how to check more of its details, sorry
Edit: i just checked and i think its 240W? which i dont think is enough, if there`s no card that can relace the existing r7 240 and provide even a little better performance, than is there any way to use new PSU etc? or is it not possible for this stock mobo, if so, is it possible to replace Mobo/psu? or is this not worth it?
and my budget is around 200$

Last edited:
for $200 there is no way you can get decent card, new PSU, and new motherboard.
maybe ~$600 if you buy cheaper products.

you can possibly find a used low profile GTX 1050 Ti for less than $200,
but it will need a power supply upgrade that offers 6 or 8-pin power cables and sufficient wattage.
just shop around for those model GPUs and see what power draw it requires and what type of power cable.

regarding the PSU upgrade;
you would also need to measure the space available in your HP case.
a lot of those OEM builds use very small odd shaped power supplies.
you may also need to purchase a new case.

Strong graphics cards are waay overpriced.
The strongest you can use might be a GTX1650 low profile that does not need aux 6 pin power.
But, they are in the prices are insane.
More likely, a GT1030 would be a decent upgrade at a reasonable price. Perhaps $125 used.
GTX1050ti is stronger and also comes in low profile but... price again is the issue. perhaps $200-$250 used.

Apr 1, 2021
for $200 there is no way you can get decent card, new PSU, and new motherboard.
maybe ~$600 if you buy cheaper products.

you can possibly find a used low profile GTX 1050 Ti for less than $200,
but it will need a power supply upgrade that offers 6 or 8-pin power cables and sufficient wattage.
just shop around for those model GPUs and see what power draw it requires and what type of power cable.

regarding the PSU upgrade;
you would also need to measure the space available in your HP case.
a lot of those OEM builds use very small odd shaped power supplies.
you may also need to purchase a new case.
Thanks for your reply!
the budget i mentioned was for just GPU, a shop guy offered to replace the case to tower+ give me a PSU upgrade, i`m thinking whether its worth it? ii5 3570 ive seen in benchmarks still holding strong even tho its old, im wondering if its worth it to replace case, mobo,psu and get new gpu? for this processor.
or sell this and go for a overall new build?

Apr 1, 2021
Strong graphics cards are waay overpriced.
The strongest you can use might be a GTX1650 low profile that does not need aux 6 pin power.
But, they are in the prices are insane.
More likely, a GT1030 would be a decent upgrade at a reasonable price. Perhaps $125 used.
GTX1050ti is stronger and also comes in low profile but... price again is the issue. perhaps $200-$250 used.
Thanks for your reply!
I want to know if those GPUs GT1030 etc would fit in my SFF HP system? and if they can run well, and be a good repalcement for r7 240

i5 3570 ive seen in benchmarks still holding strong even tho its old, im wondering if its worth it to replace case, mobo,psu and get new gpu? for this processor.
or sell this and go for a overall new build?
i would definitely be saving up for an upgrade to a modern system if you spend much time gaming or doing any type of demanding tasks.
i would go ahead and get a nice case & PSU asap and just start saving towards the rest.

i don't know what types of benchmarks you're looking at or when they may be from, but 3rd gen Core CPUs are definitely not still "holding strong" compared to their counterparts from the last 4-6 years.
upgrading to a modern chipset with a decent 10\11th gen CPU, DDR4 RAM, and a decent modern GPU should at least quadruple your system performance in almost any scenario.

Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

I am guessing that a graphics upgrade would do you some good.
See if you can buy a low profile card that does not need aux 6 pin power.
While a 240w psu is not the greatest, you are having no problem with your R7-240 that has a spec of 30w.
The max draw of the pcie X16 slot is 75w, your 3570 has a tdp of 77w.
The gt1030 GDDR5(faster than GDDR4) has a spec of 30w.
Such a card can easily be moved to a new build in the future.
Probably, the best low profile card you could find would be a low profile GTX1050ti with a spec of 75w.
Most of these will need two slots to install.
Here is an example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/gigabyte-g...515113&hash=item524acf1fda:g:hXgAAOSw0ndgYmup

If you are inclined to go the cpu upgrade route, start with your i5-3570 performance rating.
Passmark shows the 4 threads to have a rating of 4880, that is when all 4 threads are 100% busy.
The single thread rating is 2041. That is what games need most.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3570+@+3.40GHz&id=827

For starters, you could buy a i3-10100 processor with 8 threads and a rating of 8949/2648.
Any LGA1200 motherboard will do, about $75.
a 2 x 8gb DDR4 ram kit will be about $75.
Here is a review of the i3-10100 as a gamer:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

If you want to go stronger, consider the i5-10500 with 12 threads and a rating of 17899/3244:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-11500+@+2.70GHz&id=4238

I mention the 10500 particularly for the HD750 integrated graphics which may well suffice.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-xe-uhd750-graphics

Last edited:
Solution