Question Need help with Nintendo Switch Thermal Paste / Cooling Solutions.

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
I've been planning to re-paste thermal paste for my V2 switch (2019).

It doesn't get seriously hot, but there is definitely an increase in heat fan noise and heat overall. Plus I think it needs little bit of cleaning and servicing! I have serveral years of experience with PC parts and larger consoles, but this is the first time I'm taking apart something small and delicate as the switch.

Im planning to do the following to improve the thermal performance of this device, please let me know if I've planned something wrong or anyway I can improve these.
  1. Remove the metal CPU shield cover shim (or whatever thats called) and re-apply thermal paste there (Noctua NT-H1, surface will be cleaned with Arctic Clean Kit + 70% alcohol wipes).
  2. Put thermal pad on memory modules (options below)
    2.a - Put a 0.5mm thermal pad in between the shim and the memory module
    2.b - Put only on top of the shim not inside it (but I feel like there is not enough contact between the modules and the shim
    2.c - do both above.
  3. Then reapply the paste between shim and heat-pipe
  4. Then between the pipe and the shield plate
  5. I also wanted to know If I can replace the foam pieces on heat-sink with standard duct-tape -----or----- some thermal pads? (Thermal pads on heat-pipe will be a bad idea when it comes to heat dissipation) - I have a feeling they are tightly glued and may tear when removing the heat-sink, just being ready.
I need help with steps 2 and 5 mainly here, what should I do?

D

Deleted member 2838871

It doesn't get seriously hot, but there is definitely an increase in heat fan noise and heat overall.

If it ain't broke... don't fix it. That's how I roll with my Switch.

Let us know how it turns out. I wouldn't have a clue on where to begin.

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
I've been planning to re-paste thermal paste for my V2 switch (2019).

It doesn't get seriously hot, but there is definitely an increase in heat fan noise and heat overall. Plus I think it needs little bit of cleaning and servicing! I have serveral years of experience with PC parts and larger consoles, but this is the first time I'm taking apart something small and delicate as the switch.

Im planning to do the following to improve the thermal performance of this device, please let me know if I've planned something wrong or anyway I can improve these.
  1. Remove the metal CPU shield cover shim (or whatever thats called) and re-apply thermal paste there (Noctua NT-H1, surface will be cleaned with Arctic Clean Kit + 70% alcohol wipes).
  2. Put thermal pad on memory modules (options below)
    2.a - Put a 0.5mm thermal pad in between the shim and the memory module
    2.b - Put only on top of the shim not inside it (but I feel like there is not enough contact between the modules and the shim
    2.c - do both above.
  3. Then reapply the paste between shim and heat-pipe
  4. Then between the pipe and the shield plate
  5. I also wanted to know If I can replace the foam pieces on heat-sink with standard duct-tape -----or----- some thermal pads? (Thermal pads on heat-pipe will be a bad idea when it comes to heat dissipation) - I have a feeling they are tightly glued and may tear when removing the heat-sink, just being ready.
I need help with steps 2 and 5 mainly here, what should I do?
On step 2 you could put a 0.5mm thermal pad between the shim and the memory module, put it only on top of the shim, or do both. As for step 5, when you remove the shield plate, you’ll only need to replace the thermal compound between the plate and the heatsink. (normal thermal paste isn’t designed to bridge large gaps), the closest replacement is probably K5 Pro viscous thermal paste but theirs more out their.

Reactions: aranorde

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
If it ain't broke... don't fix it. That's how I roll with my Switch.

Let us know how it turns out. I wouldn't have a clue on where to begin.
Hi, I do agree with that, but i feel like my switch definitely needs a cleaning and thermal paste. Its more of a prevention act to stop it from breaking. :)

D

Deleted member 2838871

I mean btw, ROG ally and steam deck are way better value but if you prefer the switch that's cool.

I'm personally not much of a console player... I sold my Series X recently because I never played it and the one game I did play I can stream to the PC and play it there... so why bother with the console.

The Switch however is a different story. Too many old school NES/SNES games that I enjoy so have to have it.

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
I'm personally not much of a console player... I sold my Series X recently because I never played it and the one game I did play I can stream to the PC and play it there... so why bother with the console.

The Switch however is a different story. Too many old school NES/SNES games that I enjoy so have to have it.
I get it, the steam deck is more or less meant for emulation, and it can play Nintendo games as well, but given Nintendo's legal tendencies probably not for long.

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
On step 2 you could put a 0.5mm thermal pad between the shim and the memory module, put it only on top of the shim, or do both. As for step 5, when you remove the shield plate, you’ll only need to replace the thermal compound between the plate and the heatsink. (normal thermal paste isn’t designed to bridge large gaps), the closest replacement is probably K5 Pro viscous thermal paste but theirs more out their.
Thanks for the help with the Steps,

On Step 2, do you know the appropriate thermal pad sizes that are required? from my research for last 2 days I can tell that I might need a 0.5mm on the inside and 1mm on the outside, but I may be wrong. It will be pointless without correct contact.
As for step 5, when you remove the shield plate, you’ll only need to replace the thermal compound between the plate and the heatsink

you mean plate and copper pipe? Yes i need to replace the thermal paste there.

The copper pipe and the back shield plate make decent contact for standard paste to be effective if Im not wrong? the paste that was already there (was dried out already when i opened now) had similar consistency as the one I'm using from what I can recall (im now using the Scythe thermal paste - forgot name). So I'm not sure if thats a problem or not. Plenty of people just use standard paste between pipe and shield plate.

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
Not sure how this is relevant here for this post XD but I'm saving up for ROG Ally though I'm not sure about the Windows 11.
Hah yeah, the rog ally is for people who want a gaming pc in their pocket, its runs very well in terms of performance and thermals.

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
Thanks for the help with the Steps,

On Step 2, do you know the appropriate thermal pad sizes that are required? from my research for last 2 days I can tell that I might need a 0.5mm on the inside and 1mm on the outside, but I may be wrong. It will be pointless without correct contact.

you mean plate and copper pipe? Yes i need to replace the thermal paste there.

The copper pipe and the back shield plate make decent contact for standard paste to be effective if Im not wrong? the paste that was already there (was dried out already when i opened now) had similar consistency as the one I'm using from what I can recall (im now using the Scythe thermal paste - forgot name). So I'm not sure if thats a problem or not. Plenty of people just use standard paste between pipe and shield plate.
For a V2 Nintendo Switch, you could put a 0.5mm thermal pad between the shim and the memory module. Some people have also tried using Thermal Grizzly Minus 8 0.5mm pads instead of thermal paste. (it’s important to make sure that the thermal pad doesn’t lift or bow the shield too much)

As for replacing the thermal compound between the plate and the heatsink, yes, you’ll need to replace the thermal paste there. Standard thermal paste should be effective if the copper pipe and back shield plate make decent contact. Scythe paste should work just fine.

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
For a V2 Nintendo Switch, you could put a 0.5mm thermal pad between the shim and the memory module. Some people have also tried using Thermal Grizzly Minus 8 0.5mm pads instead of thermal paste. (it’s important to make sure that the thermal pad doesn’t lift or bow the shield too much)

As for replacing the thermal compound between the plate and the heatsink, yes, you’ll need to replace the thermal paste there. Standard thermal paste should be effective if the copper pipe and back shield plate make decent contact. Scythe paste should work just fine.

Thanks for the tips, also what about the area in the shim (outside memory modules) that has no contact between the shield plate. I think a 1mm pad should fit? I've seen a video of an guy (who is not sure what he is doing) using what appears to be a thicker pad but his entire video was a mess so I'm not sure about the size there.

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
1mm should fit, but it will be tight, do you have a 0.8mm or anything a little bigger than 0.5mm?
I dont think .8 is a standard thermal pad size and is easy to get, even though 1mm pad can be used, once squeezed then usually get to .8 in thickness but I think I have to try and see. I'm searching for any data on thermal sizes people used but its hard to pin-point correct data. Surprised about the lack of Switch thermal improvement related data online.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I've seen too many posts where people make it worse.

I say replace the paste and don't change anything else. This is the v1 guide but is more or less the same. Maybe you need to a new heatsink? Have you tested a good switch vs yours?

Besides replacing the heatsink, ifixit doesn't discuss or recommend anything beyond new paste.