DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
So I am trying to get help with which RAM to possibly purchase as an upgrade to my build.
I currently have OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB(2x8GB) 3000MHz CL16.
And my motherboard is ASRock B450 Pro4.

From what I’ve read the MOBO only supports up to 3200MHz as per my CPU, but I need help trying to make sure of that as I would love to get 3600+ if actually possible.
I’m still learning about gaming PC’s in general so any recommendations for specific RAM is really appreciated!

BUDGET IS $250-300

Specifications:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core @ 3.70GHz

Graphics Card - AMD Radeon RX Vega 56(8GB) - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-56.c2993

Memory - OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000MHz CL16

Storage - #1) 2TB - Hitachi HUS724020ALA640 HDD

#2) Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB

#3) PNY CS900 500GB SATA SSD

Power Supply - ARESGAME 750W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze (AGV750)

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Motherboard - ASRock B450 Pro4

CPU Cooling System - ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO

Fans - x6 GIM KB-28 RGB Case Fans 120mm

Case - Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Case w/ Tempered Glass

---

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
Are you just wanting to upgrade the speed? If yes it is not worth the cost for the tiny gain in performance.
I guess I'm asking what RAM I should specifically get based on my build to help increase my FPS. Based off of what others have told me, I definitely could benefit from upgrading my RAM to 3600+MHz from 3,000.
If this is not the case then I won't even bother with upgrading or if I literally can't because of my MOBO, thanks!

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
Are you just wanting to upgrade the speed? If yes it is not worth the cost for the tiny gain in performance.
Just to add to this, I am looking to get 32GB of RAM if that will make the difference... I am unaware of if I should be getting 4x8GB or 2x16GB, I honestly do not understand the difference between the two

I guess I'm asking what RAM I should specifically get based on my build to help increase my FPS. Based off of what others have told me, I definitely could benefit from upgrading my RAM to 3600+MHz from 3,000.
If this is not the case then I won't even bother with upgrading or if I literally can't because of my MOBO, thanks!
The RAM kit you should get is a single kit the size you need at a frequency your MB and CPU support. The kit should be selected from your MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

The Ryzen 5 5600X officially supports up to 3200Mhz so it is up to the strength of the IMC on your chip if 3600Mhz will work. If not you will have to manually program your SPD in Bios and there is no guarantee the rated frequency will be achieved.

Why do you need more than 16GB's of RAM?

Reactions: DirtySZN

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
The RAM kit you should get is a single kit the size you need at a frequency your MB and CPU support. The kit should be selected from your MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

The Ryzen 5 5600X officially supports up to 3200Mhz so it is up to the strength of the IMC on your chip if 3600Mhz will work. If not you will have to manually program your SPD in Bios and there is no guarantee the rated frequency will be achieved.

Why do you need more than 16GB's of RAM?
Well I kind of was looking to get 32GB of RAM because I just want to invest for the long term. I plan on getting a RTX 3080 within the next 3 months or around there, so I figured it would be best to look at the bigger picture when I get it.

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
Also: 32GB's of RAM will not improve FPS performance and there are no AAA games that require more than 16GB
Okay, maybe I was unaware of the fact that it won't help my performance any further, thank you for that.
If I can ask, what DO people get 32GB of RAM for then?

And I see your PSU fact text upload. I just made a different post about my current PSU. Is there any way you could take a look at that post for me?

Okay, maybe I was unaware of the fact that it won't help my performance any further, thank you for that.
If I can ask, what DO people get 32GB of RAM for then?

And I see your PSU fact text upload. I just made a different post about my current PSU. Is there any way you could take a look at that post for me?

Sure. People get 32GB of ram and more to edit large 3D CAD Surface rendering files or large video editing. It's mainly to do with time as more memory the job takes less time which is important in a commercial sense.

Sure I can take a look at that PSU Post, link me to it.
Edit: I just found your post and hadiahmed29 gave a good/best answer.
Just remember DON'T go cheap with a bronze rated unit, Quality and efficiency go hand in hand and remember the importance of your PSU as it is the life blood of your system.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtySZN