[SOLVED] Need help with settings for home network settings - TP Link Acess points

Aug 13, 2019
In a nutshell, my home network was too slow and not reaching certain points across the house. I bought two TP-Link AC1350 Access points off amazon and a POE switch.

The current setup is my BT router in the loft with the POE switch connected, and the two access points connected via ethernet in two different points of my house.

I don't think they are set up correctly as it doesn't seem to work as one network, rather two individual networks with the same SSID. Also, the speeds can be slower than when I didn't have the access points.

I have seen articles about changing DHCP settings, however, need someone to explain step by step what to do as I'm fairly new to networking. I don't know whether i need to change the settings on my BT router or the access points themselves.

I suppose the end goal is to have the access points acting so I have one SSID, which will automatically connect to the strongest one depending on where I am in the house.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Solution
I suppose the end goal is to have the access points acting so I have one SSID, which will automatically connect to the strongest one depending on where I am in the house.

Unfortunately, consumer grade equipment can't really do that.

The end device is in control of the connection, not the router or AP.
And they are loath to give up a working connection, even if there is a 'stronger' one nearby.

Setup:
Router, AccessPoint A, and AccessPoint B.
Router in the middle, AP's at either end of the house.

You're at the north end, power up your laptop.
It connects to AP A no problem.
Walk through the house to the south end, near AP B.
So now B is the stronger connection, right?

The laptop...

USAFRet

Titan

Unfortunately, consumer grade equipment can't really do that.

The end device is in control of the connection, not the router or AP.
And they are loath to give up a working connection, even if there is a 'stronger' one nearby.

Setup:
Router, AccessPoint A, and AccessPoint B.
Router in the middle, AP's at either end of the house.

You're at the north end, power up your laptop.
It connects to AP A no problem.
Walk through the house to the south end, near AP B.
So now B is the stronger connection, right?

The laptop will remain connected to AP A until it actually drops that due to signal strength, or you manually switch.

Seamless roaming does not happen with consumer grade equipment.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
The client controls where it chooses to connect. The best you can do is turn DOWN the transmit power on each of your WIFI sources. And you want to turn the 2.4Ghz signal down MORE than the 5Ghz signal to encourage the devices to use 5Ghz. As long as you have only one DHCP source, and the IP address of a device does not change when moving from AP to router to AP, then that is the best you can do. You have a single network. Being able to walk around without glitching a video call or dropping a WIFI call is not how WIFI was intended to be used. It was not designed to support that.