[SOLVED] Need help with slow speeds.

Mason1204

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
Here's my problem. Currently my PC is only getting 17 download when I pay for 400. My current network setup is Router > long run to switch > Short run to PC.

Here is everything I've done and tested so far:
  • I've completely replaced the long run cable to my switch.
  • I tested the short run ethernet cable that goes from my switch to my PC on a laptop and the laptop was able to get the full 400 download speed. Plugged it back into my PC and it got 17.
  • I've replaced the short run cable to my PC
  • Tried using a wifi adapter that I know works on another PC in the house on my PC and it still got 17 download.
  • Rebooted my PC (Obviously)
  • Went into CMD and did a ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew
  • Updated my ethernet port (Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) l219-V) to the latest drivers.
  • Inside of the Intel PROSet adapter utility, I ran a Cable, Connection, and Hardware test and everything passed.
  • I have rebooted my modem and router twice

At this point I don't know what else to do. Any help you guys can provide would be great. Thanks!

Solution
Try hooking your laptop to your router via a ethernet cable and then run IPERF between your 2 pc. This should test all the cables in the path as well as the pc. This is a simple test that only tests drivers and the hardware it is not affected by things like disk or cpu speeds. You should see numbers in the 900mbps range.

You could then try simple file copies of very large files between the 2 machines. You will have to watch the network tab in the resource monitor to see the speeds, be aware some things are in BYTES/sec and others are in BITS/sec on that screen.

If both these work you start to suspect other software like web browsers etc to be the cause.

Mason1204

Honorable
Sep 14, 2015
long run to switch
How long is long?

Make and model of your router? Which firmware is it on, if it's an aftermarket router?

How far is the router from your PC(or other wireless devices)?
Its 50 ft. My router is Netgear Blackhawk R8000P and the firmware is up to date.
Everything else running off that switch is working fine tho, so it has to be something going on with my PC specifically.

Try hooking your laptop to your router via a ethernet cable and then run IPERF between your 2 pc. This should test all the cables in the path as well as the pc. This is a simple test that only tests drivers and the hardware it is not affected by things like disk or cpu speeds. You should see numbers in the 900mbps range.

You could then try simple file copies of very large files between the 2 machines. You will have to watch the network tab in the resource monitor to see the speeds, be aware some things are in BYTES/sec and others are in BITS/sec on that screen.

If both these work you start to suspect other software like web browsers etc to be the cause.

Solution