Question Need someone to overlook my parts/advice

FriendlyMelon

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Hey there fellow internaut!

I recently convinced myself that it's time to build a gaming desktop, I'm tired of being able to cook eggs on my craptop.
FYI I'm a citizen in Europe, Belgium so I can not order from amazon/newegg. I threw some parts together recommended by friends, I'm not so sure if they're all compatible and if I missed something. Some advice and corrections would be great!

Approximate Purchase Date: mid/end June

Budget Range: Willing to stretch my budget up to €1.500,00 ($1,700.00)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: VR, Programming, Gaming: Apex Legends, Metro Exodus, The Division 2, Sekiro: Shadow Die Twice, ...

Are you buying a monitor: No, not with this budget, I have a 4 year old Benq monitor (1080p), will probably upgrade that in the summer to 144Hz.

Parts to Upgrade: Everything, Don't have any parts at the moment.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Alternate.be & Azerty.nl (Dutch websites, you can use google translate if you want to take a look).

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU (cheaper) and Nvidia graphics card

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe?

Your Monitor Resolution: currently 60Hz 1080p, this summer: probably a 1440p, 144Hz monitor?

Additional Comments: Case needs a window, it needs to be future prove and hopefully last me around 5 years before needing an upgrade

PartNameGeneral linkBelgian shop linkPrice( € | $ )
MotherboardAsus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMINGAsus siteAzerty.nl€131,05 ($147.81)
CPUAMD Ryzen 7 2700XAMD siteAzerty.nl€315 ($355.28)
GPUEVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMINGEVGA siteAzerty.nl€623,05 ($702.72)
RAMKingston HyperX FURY - DDR4-3200Kingstone siteAzerty.nl€98,90 ($111.55)
SSDSamsung 970 EVO Plus 500GBSamsung siteAzerty.nl€118 ($133.09)
HDDWD Blue WD20EZRZ 2TB, 3.5", 5400rpmWD siteAzerty.nl€62,05 ($69.98)
Power supplyCorsair CX-M Series CX550M - 2015 EditionCorsair siteAzerty.nl€69,04 ($77.87)
CaseCoolerMaster MasterBox Pro 5 RGBCoolermaster siteAzerty.nl€84,95 ($95.81)
TOTAL€1.502,04 | $1,694.44

GPU: There are so many different GPU versions of the same one, I picked EVGA on recommendation of a friend. No clue what's best.

Edit: Added VR to the list of usages

Last edited:
Seems pretty reasonable to me. EVGA is a good choice but you may want to have a look at GTX 180 (maybe even Ti) if you are not going to take advantage of ray tracing. Not much use of it as of now.
You also wrote "Approximate Purchase Date: mid/end June " and that's when newest Ryzen processors are supposed to arrive so you may want to revise the build somewhat at that time.

FriendlyMelon

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Seems pretty reasonable to me. EVGA is a good choice but you may want to have a look at GTX 180 (maybe even Ti) if you are not going to take advantage of ray tracing. Not much use of it as of now.
You also wrote "Approximate Purchase Date: mid/end June " and that's when newest Ryzen processors are supposed to arrive so you may want to revise the build somewhat at that time.
Currently no retailers have the GTX 1080 or 1080 TI in stock, it has been like this for a while. The ones that do, sell them for €700-€900 (I'm also very skeptical of buy a secondhand GPU). I will probably re-evaluate every part in June before buying!
Thanks for the heads-up about Ryzen's new processors coming out in June!