Question Need thermal compound or advice, recommendation please.

Oct 16, 2019
So i have an i9-9900K CPU and Corsair H115i Pro AIO Cooler .
What is the best thermal compound to use?

I should give on more details about the question.
When building my PC last week, not having a "branded" thermal paste, but just some i purchased from AliExpress a year ago, i used what i got because i was impatient to build my computer.
The pc runs smoothly and on normal usage the CPU temp is around 30 Celsius.
Yesterday i tried benching the CPU and in few minutes the temperature rised to above 90 Celsius (95 maximum i went to, then stopped), but after i stopped the benching, the CPU temp dropped very fast to around or below 40 Celsius.
I don't think it is normal for the CPU to keep on increasing the temperature to that high of a point in just few minutes, so i assume it is large part to the thermal paste?
If any suggestions or advice/recommendation i will be gratefull.

Oct 16, 2019
Thermal paste likely isn't the issue.

What cooler are you using?
I already mentioned that in the first line, i use Corsair H115i

First I’d make sure the pump is running 100% and your fan profile is good because that seems high. I use an EVGA 280mm and at 5.0 all core I don’t get that hot. I would use thermal grizzly kryonaut f you want the best.
The pump is running 100% and the fan profile is good. The CPU reached the temperature in about 4-5 minutes while on maximum load during benchmarking.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
My mistake, somehow I missed that.

H115i is a 280mm AIO and the 9900k is a hot CPU.

The pc runs smoothly and on normal usage the CPU temp is around 30 Celsius.

You will always peak the CPU during benchmarking due to how synthetics force high loads on the chip. This isn't indicative of normal, everyday use.

Assuming your 9900k isn't overclocked, for normal use, you likely won't have much issue outside of benchmarking. If your plan is to either overclock or always benchmark, you're going to need a bigger cooler.

You will have to make a real-world decision, here.

You either choose everyday use and go on with your cooler, or you choose benchmarking and stress test tools, and you upgrade your cooling solution.

Oct 16, 2019
My mistake, somehow I missed that.

H115i is a 280mm AIO and the 9900k is a hot CPU.

You will always peak the CPU during benchmarking due to how synthetics force high loads on the chip. This isn't indicative of normal, everyday use.

Assuming your 9900k isn't overclocked, for normal use, you likely won't have much issue outside of benchmarking. If your plan is to either overclock or always benchmark, you're going to need a bigger cooler.

You will have to make a real-world decision, here.

You either choose everyday use and go on with your cooler, or you choose benchmarking and stress test tools, and you upgrade your cooling solution.
I am planning to use it for normal use, gaming, watching movies, browsing, don't intend to overlock (not in the near future at least), and the benchmarking was just a test to see how it will work.
The cooler is ofc chosen for everyday use, not high overclocking or benchmarking. The cooling is decent, will keep the CPU temp down on normal use, and well looks cooler inside a case with see through side panels rather than a large fan, for me at least.

Oct 16, 2019
Ok, so to put that all aside which is previously mentioned. Can you suggest me some cpu heavy games that i can test my CPU temperatures on, or should we just call it a day and say that the thermal paste applied dont need changing at the current point?

EDIT:
I just checked and the thermal conductivity on the paste is (as it says) > 1.93W/m-k, resistance < 0.225 celsius

Ok, so to put that all aside which is previously mentioned. Can you suggest me some cpu heavy games that i can test my CPU temperatures on, or should we just call it a day and say that the thermal paste applied dont need changing at the current point?

EDIT:
I just checked and the thermal conductivity on the paste is (as it says) > 1.93W/m-k, resistance < 0.225 celsius
Name some games you have. A few I know off hand, battlefield 1 and V. Ghost recon wildlands. Gta V(can be.) Any strategy game is usually cpu intensive. Shadow of tomb raider.