zikmir

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
So for some reason i cannot reach the actual speed of my network. I have a gigabit network and for years i can achieve 950+ mbp/s on speedtest.com, now i cannot go above 100 mbp/s. I first thought something is wrong with the connection so i connected my ethernet (CAT5e) to laptop and speed was 900+.

Now i assumed my pc's network card is malfunctioning, so to rule that out i booted into linux distro to test it and speed test came to full 1000!

That means the issue resides in windows 10 1903. I dont know whats going on, yes i uninstalled-reinstalled the network adapter with correct driver.

Any known issue with windows limiting speed recently? How suddenly this occurred? Some random windows update? I am tempted to fresh install windows but any suggestions i can explore prior will be great thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
My recommendation:

Do not fresh install windows.

Doublecheck the network card's configuration settings.

Look at Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine if some other factor is involved.

Reliability History and Event Viewer may be capturing some error codes or warnings.

Run a few more tests over a few more days. Windows/Microsoft has no reason to limit speeds per se but that does not exclude some glitch or software bug,

The response at this time is to not over react.

Investigate more.

zikmir

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
My recommendation:

Do not fresh install windows.

Doublecheck the network card's configuration settings.

Look at Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine if some other factor is involved.

Reliability History and Event Viewer may be capturing some error codes or warnings.

Run a few more tests over a few more days. Windows/Microsoft has no reason to limit speeds per se but that does not exclude some glitch or software bug,

The response at this time is to not over react.

Investigate more.

This issue is 3 weeks old, investigated pretty much everything at this point. Checked the network connection under adapter status to be 1 Gbp/s, its running at full 1gbp/s full duplex in advanced settings. No errors or weird stuff in resource monitor. No matter what i do i cannot get speedtest or its app to go beyond 60-100 mbps. Booted into other OS on same machine got full 900.

Trust me im confused as hell lol

Ralston18

Titan
Do the Windows 10 Network troubleshooters find anything?

Did you try another known working (at speed) Ethernet cable?

What about your router (make, model, version) ? Take a look at its' configuration settings and logs.

Perhaps some QoS setting....

Media Prioritization on a Linksys Router recently caused a problem that I worked on. Upload speeds were faster than download/

Media Prioritization reset solved the problem.

Could end up being 1903 related and there may be no immediate fix/solution.

Reactions: zikmir

zikmir

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
I am sorry i dont think you read or perhaps missed what i wrote, let me highlight it again.

ON THE SAME MACHINE UNDER A DIFFERENT OS THIS ISSUE GOES AWAY. I ran Kail Linux off a usb stick and got 900+ instantly. So same cable, same card, same modem and on the SAME machine that is running windows 10.

Meaning this has NOTHING to do with hardware, modem, wires or connections, just windows acting up for some reason. So yes i agree could be some 1903 issue that we are unaware off, if you have anything in mind that i may have missed regarding please feel free to let me know! I am done scratching my head on this its just strange!

SciotoMoving

Honorable
Sep 5, 2015
I've been going round and round and round with the same error and the same people across multiple forums saying the same troubleshooting techniques ... It's kind of comforting knowing a fresh install of Windows will fix it, as much as I DO NOT want to do that ... I actually took a laptop in to be serviced because I was out of ideas, every computer in my house (2 macbooks, 2 PC's (wired) , 3 laptops (wireless), runs at 750Mbps+ except the one laptop that I updated to 1903 on.

The service place bought the laptop (Microcenter) citing maybe it's a mobo problem, and the cost to fix it exceeded the price of the laptop (I had the warranty). This is a problem that we're probably still months out from Microsoft addressing sadly :(.