[SOLVED] New 2080 is constantly at almost max speed (1830 MHz)

ChangeTheL1ghts

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2013
I just got a new 2080 and downloaded ASUS GPU Tweak to check out how it was running. I ran into this strange issue where the GPU speed appears to be constantly clocked up to 1830 MHz, even when idle. I saw it suggested to set the Nvidia Power Management settings to adaptive, but that didn't do anything. I don't know if this is just an issue with GPU Tweak, or if there's something else going on here. Any advice?

This is the card while it is idle (Discord is all that's running, and "Gaming Mode" is the standard mode it sets the card to).
1o6WjMt.jpg

Solution
What you see is the core clock speed that the GPU will at least OC to. I say at least because it will definitely go higher than that. Its not the speed that it currently has, for that you will need to open the extra panel/window that the GPU tweak II has, which shows current clocks/speeds, along with temps, usage etc...

You can also use other programs to verify, MSI afterburner (also on the extra window), Hwmonitor, GPU-Z and many more.
What you see is the core clock speed that the GPU will at least OC to. I say at least because it will definitely go higher than that. Its not the speed that it currently has, for that you will need to open the extra panel/window that the GPU tweak II has, which shows current clocks/speeds, along with temps, usage etc...

You can also use other programs to verify, MSI afterburner (also on the extra window), Hwmonitor, GPU-Z and many more.

Solution