Question New 2nd hand GPU facing issues

Alex Zakka

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Good day to everyone on this sub! I appreciate your time trying to help in advance!
There is a performance issue that i cannot seem to mitigate with my new GPU, whenever i play games, MOST games will stay at 50% or less usage and perform awfully such as Dishonored, Dishonored 2, Fortnite, ALL the borderlands games, but some of them run well such as Black Ops 4 and benchmarks i have done using upto 99% of the GPU performance.
I am running at 1080p and for the life in me cannot find any info online. I just recently got this card, there are no other issues such as bad temps, artifacting or anything to indicate a bad card other than this usage problem in SPECIFIC games. I have also tried to re-install windows, drivers, and set maximum performance(for power usage) on every game i mentioned in nvidia control panel. Still to no avail.
Other specs are -
i7 7700k
16 GB Corsair Vengeance at 1600 Mhz
120 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
MSI GTX 1080 Ti Duke
I have monitored other components for any bottlenecks but do not detect anything. Any suggestions would be nice. Thank you.

Okay, that's an excellent high-quality PSU, so no worries here. I just wanted to rule out the power supply unit being the culprit here. But that doesn't seem to be the case, as the problem lies elsewhere. Maybe those particular games are not that much GPU-intensive/bound, hence the low GPU usage ?

Also, you are on 1080p. Can you try using Nvidia's DSR, the dynamic super resolution feature via NVCP, just to check the GPU usage, when you increase the resolution to 4.00x (after downsampling ) ?

Alex Zakka

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Okay, that's an excellent high-quality PSU, so no worries here. I just wanted to rule out the power supply unit being the culprit here. But that doesn't seem to be the case, as the problem lies elsewhere. Maybe those particular games are not that much GPU-intensive/bound, hence the low GPU usage ?

Also, you are on 1080p. Can you try using Nvidia's DSR, the dynamic super resolution feature via NVCP, just to check the GPU usage, when you increase the resolution to 4.00x (after downsampling ) ?
I mean I have a friend with a 1080 that gets 2-3x my FPS, like the FPS i get is unplayable currently, I literally dip under 50 FPS with a 1080Ti it’s depressing. But sure, I’ll try DSR to see if it performs better and get back to you in an hour or 2. Cheers!

Alex Zakka

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013

Alright so i have checked a few games running DSR, usage goes up to accommodate, especially in BL2 it and pre sequel it was funny as the usage went up to accommodate the same FPS range i had on 1080p lmao, it legit makes no sense, there much be a certain setting somewhere messing me up. Thanks for your help again! Any other suggestions?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Alex Zakka

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Update: I have noticed this issue is present with older games mainly, BL2 and Dishonored2 are the main culprits right now. Some more games i tested that run flawlessly using my entire GPU when uncapped are Apex Legends, Forza Horizon 4 and The Division. This is so damn weird man.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
Update: I have noticed this issue is present with older games mainly, BL2 and Dishonored2 are the main culprits right now. Some more games i tested that run flawlessly using my entire GPU when uncapped are Apex Legends, Forza Horizon 4 and The Division. This is so damn weird man.

some games are just CPU bound other are GPU bound, and with the hundreds of graphics engine out there, it is a bit complicated to list which are CPU/GPU bound.. but like what the other guy suggested, supersampling (DSR) transfer most if not all processing to the GPU, you get better visual fidelity too considering you have a 1080ti and 1440p should not be a hiccup.

if i recall correctly, you can specifically enable DSR on a per game basis as opposed to system-wide so you can just set it to the games that are poorly utilizing 1080p.

you may also force driver-level AA to increase GPU usage.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Alex Zakka

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
some games are just CPU bound other are GPU bound, and with the hundreds of graphics engine out there, it is a bit complicated to list which are CPU/GPU bound.. but like what the other guy suggested, supersampling (DSR) transfer most if not all processing to the GPU, you get better visual fidelity too considering you have a 1080ti and 1440p should not be a hiccup.

if i recall correctly, you can specifically enable DSR on a per game basis as opposed to system-wide so you can just set it to the games that are poorly utilizing 1080p.

you may also force driver-level AA to increase GPU usage.
Thank you for your response man! Thing is right now is that my same CPU with a 1070 ran BL2 and Dishonored 2 better than now. My friend with the same CPU and 1080 also has better FPS than me. Something is off. It’s not just about forcing higher usage, it’s more about getting higher FPS. Thanks for the reply anyway!