gamersunite23

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2015
sorry for formatting, posting from phone.
looking to do a modest upgrade for my current system. what's a good upgrade I can go without going over $700

current specs
msi 990fxa gaming ms 7893
16gb ram ddr3
gtx 1660xc
amd fx 6300

was looking at
amd rzyzen 5 5600 series or 7 equivalent for 8 cores
msi mpg b550 gaming plus amd 4 ddr4
ddr4 ram
keep my current gpu for now.

willl I run into any incompatible parts? pcpartpicker says one thing and user benchmark says another. any suggestions on different parts are totally welcome, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
sorry for formatting, posting from phone.
looking to do a modest upgrade for my current system. what's a good upgrade I can go without going over $700

current specs
msi 990fxa gaming ms 7893
16gb ram ddr3
gtx 1660xc
amd fx 6300

was looking at
amd rzyzen 5 5600 series or 7 equivalent for 8 cores
msi mpg b550 gaming plus amd 4 ddr4
ddr4 ram
keep my current gpu for now.

willl I run into any incompatible parts? pcpartpicker says one thing and user benchmark says another. any suggestions on different parts are totally welcome, thanks in advance.
Enormous improvement even with old GPU which isn't all that bad for 1080p gaming.
MB may need BIOS upgrade depending on date of production. Reasonably recent (1 year or so) should have compatible BIOS version but you may want to upgrade to latest one anyway.
DDR4 2x8GB at minimum with 3600MHz as best buy.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The Intel 12400 is also an option combined with a decent B660 motherboard. If you don't use an ssd already make sure to get one of those as well, would take a minimum of 512gb for that.

Both options will perform well, your suggestion and this Intel combo.

AMD does come with new cpu's with not long to wait so you can wait and see if they perform well, how much they cost looking at the 7600x and see how that influences prices.

Ryzen 7000 Series Desktop processors are expected to be available globally from leading etailers and retailers beginning September 27, starting at an SEP of $299 USD.
source,
https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...ies-desktop-processors-zen-4-architecture-the

Reactions: CountMike