[SOLVED] New build - CPU doesn't work - fans spin briefly then stop

Mar 22, 2020
OK, I have a feeling that I might already know what the problem is here, but I wanted to discuss it a bit as well.

So I have a new motherboard, RAM and CPU, fresh out of the box. I swapped out my old components in my PC, and now, when I go to boot it, everything lights up (my case fans and motherboard's RGB) and every single fan spins, including that of the CPU cooler. But that's only for a second. After that, it all stops. But when I don't have the CPU power cable plugged in, or the CPU lid is open, everything spins and stays lit constantly. Though, obviously, that poses the problem of no CPU. I assume my monitor saying "no signal" is related to this

Now, here's what's interesting. The motherboard has a series of LEDs. If one lights up, it indicates some kind of problem with a particular component. Whether the CPU power cable is plugged in or not, the "CPU" LED lights up. At first, I thought it was the PSU. But I found that wasn't the case. The CPU fits perfectly, and, again, is fresh out of the box, just like the motherboard. No pins seem bent or anything. I've taken it out and put it back in a few times, but this obviously hasn't worked out. Everything else seems fine (the motherboard has lights on the RAM slots for when something is inserted, so nothing seems wrong there), so do I need to replace the CPU? I'm really hoping I don't have to get another motherboard...

Motherboard is MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC.
CPU is i5 7600.

Solution
OK, I have a feeling that I might already know what the problem is here, but I wanted to discuss it a bit as well.

So I have a new motherboard, RAM and CPU, fresh out of the box. I swapped out my old components in my PC, and now, when I go to boot it, everything lights up (my case fans and motherboard's RGB) and every single fan spins, including that of the CPU cooler. But that's only for a second. After that, it all stops. But when I don't have the CPU power cable plugged in, or the CPU lid is open, everything spins and stays lit constantly. Though, obviously, that poses the problem of no CPU. I assume my monitor saying "no signal" is related to this

Now, here's what's interesting. The motherboard has a series of LEDs. If one...

kanewolf

Titan

Now, here's what's interesting. The motherboard has a series of LEDs. If one lights up, it indicates some kind of problem with a particular component. Whether the CPU power cable is plugged in or not, the "CPU" LED lights up. At first, I thought it was the PSU. But I found that wasn't the case. The CPU fits perfectly, and, again, is fresh out of the box, just like the motherboard. No pins seem bent or anything. I've taken it out and put it back in a few times, but this obviously hasn't worked out. Everything else seems fine (the motherboard has lights on the RAM slots for when something is inserted, so nothing seems wrong there), so do I need to replace the CPU? I'm really hoping I don't have to get another motherboard...

Motherboard is MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC.
CPU is i5 7600.
Your CPU is incompatible with your motherboard. The 300 series motherboards use 8th and 9th gen CPUs. You need either a 200 series motherboard or a newer CPU.

Solution
Mar 22, 2020
Your CPU is incompatible with your motherboard. The 300 series motherboards use 8th and 9th gen CPUs. You need either a 200 series motherboard or a newer CPU.
Aww, really? I didn't know that was a thing, actually. I guess every day's a school day, huh? Looks like I'll have to search for a new processor, then. Still, heartening to know that nothing was actually faulty (aside from my brain, of course). Thank you so much for that.

kanewolf

Titan
Aww, really? I didn't know that was a thing, actually. I guess every day's a school day, huh? Looks like I'll have to search for a new processor, then. Still, heartening to know that nothing was actually faulty (aside from my brain, of course). Thank you so much for that.
PC Parts Picker can help with avoiding those OOPS moments. Also the manufacturer of the motherboard provides a list of supported CPUs -- https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#support-cpu

Mar 22, 2020