Apr 25, 2020
I recently put together my first build,

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K
Graphics: RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G OC
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB x2
Cooling: ML240R RGB AIO CPU Liquid Cooler

I've looked for answers but cant seem to find a fix for my specific problem(?) I've put everything together, It seems to run good if not great. However it seems to power cycles when idle. what I mean by this is; I'm able to use it fine, I've played games on it, it runs perfect, benchmarked fine. Ive never seen any visible errors; blue screen, led problems etc. which pushes me to believe theres nothing wrong with the hardware, and maybe it's just coincidents(?) but it's never power cycled while I've played a game. Ive left to let a game download however and come back not 10 minutes later to find its power cycled again. it powers completely off as if loosing power and turns right back on. I've tried looking for answers previously which pushed me to believe my power Supply might have been bad so I replaced it and seemed to still have the same problem(?) is there something wrong with my motherboard? I'm not really sure so any help would be great. thanks in advance.

Solution
@Hawk0206
With a new system, this could be windows restarting after an update. Especially if you have an update that is failing to install correctly. I would pull up your update log and see if there are updates waiting.

You can also take a look at your windows logs (type "Event Viewer" in search) and use that to try to see what is going on. If you know the approximate time of a restart, scroll to that time and see what happened.

Of course, if this is actually a hardware issue, you are unlikely to find anything in the logs.
@Hawk0206
With a new system, this could be windows restarting after an update. Especially if you have an update that is failing to install correctly. I would pull up your update log and see if there are updates waiting.

You can also take a look at your windows logs (type "Event Viewer" in search) and use that to try to see what is going on. If you know the approximate time of a restart, scroll to that time and see what happened.

Of course, if this is actually a hardware issue, you are unlikely to find anything in the logs.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 25, 2020
@Hawk0206

Thank you! An update failing to install correctly actually seemed to be causing the unwanted restarts as there seemed to be a driver error, I found this info in event viewer as these errors didn't seem to be showing elsewhere, thanks a bunch :)