Stiensen

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2016
Gigabyte Z790 UD AX
Intel i7-13700K
iCue H170 RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Geforce RTX 3080 Ti
Cooler Master MWE Gold V2 1050 watt AND ALSO Corsair

As title says, my PC will restart as soon as i try to open certain programs like Discord. I can sometimes launch games and play them for a while before i get a bluescreen. If i do nothing but sit in the start screen, the PC will not turn off or restart.

After doing some reading it seemed that the PSU was the culprit, so i downloaded OCCT to test the PSU. As soon as i press "Start" on the PSU test, it restarts my computer. Due to this, i swapped the 850 watt Corsair PSU for a CM 1050 watt PSU but the problem persists.
I have tried 2 different PSU's, both brand new, and with the same result.

All components are running very cool.

Overview of all the errors and criticals i get

Details on one of the errors i get

Another error im suddenly recieveing

Details on the Kernel Power 41 error i get every time the PC restarts

OCCT interface with component temps on idle

OCCT interface while in-game

Last edited:
Gigabyte Z790 UD AX
Intel i7-13700K
iCue H170 RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Geforce RTX 3080 Ti
Cooler Master MWE Gold V2 1050 watt AND ALSO Corsair

As title says, my PC will restart as soon as i try to open certain programs like Discord. I can sometimes launch games and play them for a while before i get a bluescreen. If i do nothing but sit in the start screen, the PC will not turn off or restart.

After doing some reading it seemed that the PSU was the culprit, so i downloaded OCCT to test the PSU. As soon as i press "Start" on the PSU test, it restarts my computer. Due to this, i swapped the 850 watt Corsair PSU for a CM 1050 watt PSU but the problem persists.
I have tried 2 different PSU's, both brand new, and with the same result.

All components are running very cool.

Overview of all the errors and criticals i get

Details on one of the errors i get

Another error im suddenly recieveing

Details on the Kernel Power 41 error i get every time the PC restarts

OCCT interface with component temps on idle

OCCT interface while in-game

potential sollution

Thermalright CPU Contact Frame for LGA 1700​

main reason the mounting for the intel cpu is dog crap it applys uneven pressure so it could be a bad cpu mount causing the reset
ive seen this with people not even being able to post properly.

discord problem
fix

dont use coolermaster its rarely accurate measurements

run hw monitor while gaming

Stiensen

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2016
potential sollution

Thermalright CPU Contact Frame for LGA 1700​

main reason the mounting for the intel cpu is dog crap it applys uneven pressure so it could be a bad cpu mount causing the reset
ive seen this with people not even being able to post properly.

discord problem
fix

dont use coolermaster its rarely accurate measurements

run hw monitor while gaming
I am currently running CPU tests in OCCT, but they seem to be running fine.. Could the mounting really be the issue? GPU, CPU and RAM tests are no issue, but as soon as i press "Start" on the PSU stability test the PC shuts down.

If your PSU is bad, 99.9% of the time you will get a shutdown with a black screen with no BSOD or minidumps as there is no time for that to occur when the computer gets cut from power nearly instantaneously. I would say you have issues other than PSU, and likely the corsair PSU was perfectly fine.

How did you install your OS? Did you get and install the latest motherboard drivers from your motherboard support page? What version of BIOS are you on? Did you install the latest graphics drivers for you graphics card? I assume this PC was put together with all new parts recently, or was this an upgrade of the motherboard, cpu/ram?

Stiensen

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2016
Short term this video seems to have given me a solution!

The only components that i am reusing are the GPU and 1x M.2 ssd. I installed Windows on a new M.2 SSD by juggling Windows from one SSD to the other using "Macrium Reflect" and then doing a fresh install on the new SSD. This might've ended up being the root cause of the problem seeing how this regedit thing fixed it.

And yes, the Corsair one was probably completely fine in retrospect.. Seeing how both the RGB lights and fans were still going mid-crash shouldve put me off the thought of the PSU being the issue, but i got hung up in forum posts about kernel-power.

On the behest of a friend i downloaded "WhoCrashed" and it put me on something called Intelppm

I do not know the implications of the change that i made in regedit like the guy in the video does, but after doing what he did my PC does not shut down immediately after starting the PSU stress test. Currently at my 10th minute of 100% CPU and GPU load with 47 degrees celsius on CPU and 70 degrees celsius on GPU.

If there is any sudden crash again, i will keep posting in this thread about it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w0Cs3OKne0

Reactions: helper800