Feb 25, 2019
So ive recently brought a desktop pc from a friend who was in the proccess of building it. Ive had to add a psu and hard drive to the build to complete it. After putting it together i go to install windows onto it however it simple restarts over and over again every 10-20 seconds with no output to my display or power to the keyboard and mouse. I know everything is powered as all fans start up, i can hear the drive spinning, and the gpu light turn on. Ive also tried removing one of the drives from my own pc and same thing happens. The motherboard itself doesn’t have a LED’s to help.

Ive double checked all connections on cpu, ram, the drive and all power cables. Ive also tried clearing the RAM and CMOS on the motherboard to no help. Ive built and upgraded my own gaming pc for almost 3 years now and its never had a problem however this pc just refuses to boot.

Specs
I3 4170
XFX Radeon RX 470
Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3
Samsung ddr3 16Gb 1333MHz
EVGA 600w 80+
Western Digital Green 500gb
Corsair 100r (windowed)

Any help appreciated

Feb 25, 2019
Have you got a speaker you could plug into the mainboard header? If it's not the BIOS issue Dark Lord mentioned, you may be able to narrow down the problem.
I checked on pcpartpicker and around the internet and non mention that the cpu requires a bios update. Thanks for the idea, just ordered one now.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
So you power up the PC, wait a few seconds, then hold down the reset button wired to the CMOS? Seems like resetting CMOS definitely does nothing. I would suggest since you don't have a PC speaker yet, to try 1 ram stick at a time. Also, check your monitor to GPU connection and try a different cable if able. ie: if you're using HDMI try DP or DVI. Try a spare monitor also if you're able. Or TV.

Feb 25, 2019
I have tried both dvi and hdmi, from the gpu and motherboard. i know the cables and monitors are fine as i use them everyday with my own pc. Also ive tried running it with 1 ram stick, both and even without the gpu incase it was a power issue, non of these made any difference.

The problem is that its keeps resetting without any inputs and so for the split second it runs i tried resetting the CMOS and it just turn off when i do so, then goes back to its usual cycle of starting and turning off

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
I have tried both dvi and hdmi, from the gpu and motherboard. i know the cables and monitors are fine as i use them everyday with my own pc. Also ive tried running it with 1 ram stick, both and even without the gpu incase it was a power issue, non of these made any difference.

The problem is that its keeps resetting without any inputs and so for the split second it runs i tried resetting the CMOS and it just turn off when i do so, then goes back to its usual cycle of starting and turning off

I'm sorry I couldn't be more insightful. It's an annoying problem for sure. If I can think of anything else i'll let you know. Maybe you should look into what Dark Lord said. Hopefully you can find a solution.