The build:
Motherboard
- MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1060 3gb
RAM - 2x8GB Spectrix D41 DDR4 RGB 3200MHz Memory
SSD - Vulcan G 2.5" 1TB
PSU - GameMax RBG 750 Watt

Hey, everyone. I had just purchased my brother a practically new PC for his birthday the other day. Everything on the list above is brand new except for the GPU. Yesterday finally came the time to show him his new upgrades and he was over the moon. We put everything together and it was going very smoothly.

We got to the point of plugging the computer into an outlet, so we put a boot stick loaded with Windows 10 into one of the USB ports on top of the case and turned it on. The MSI logo showed up and the computer began to boot, we were all excited. However, within seconds of the MSI logo showing up with the spinner indicating loading, the spinner froze. We thought it was just a hiccup and would work itself out, but it continued to stay frozen. After waiting for a while, we reset the computer. The same thing happened, MSI logo shows up but freezes a few moments later. We tried plugging the USB into one of the USB 3.0 ports on the back of the case but that made no difference.

To try to fix this, we first grabbed an empty USB stick we had lying around (Note: This USB stick has got to be about 10 years old, not sure if that would make a difference or not). We formatted it and loaded up Windows 10 on to the USB. We booted my computer, a computer which we know works, with the fresh Windows 10 USB and it loaded to the Windows Setup screen perfectly fine. So we brought the stick downstairs and plugged it into the new PC build. It booted, except this time, the MSI logo changed to a Windows logo after a few seconds, however the MSI logo remained and was kind of "glitched". It turned into a line of low-quality MSI logos across the bottom of the screen. Regardless, the Windows spinner would go for a few moments, then freeze just like with the last Windows boot stick. We reset the computer a few times in desperation, however it did not help.

Then, we decided to grab yet another empty USB stick that my friend had in his car. This time, we loaded up a download of the motherboard's BIOS. We plugged it in to the new computer and opened up the USB in BIOS. It worked through an installation of the BIOS and then booted the Windows 10 stick we still had plugged into another USB port. This time, that beautiful purple Windows Setup screen loaded and we all shouted in excitement. We thought we had done it, however, this time the Keyboard and Mouse plugged into the computer stopped working along with some of the other peripherals.

Eventually, we dug around in the BIOS a little bit and checked out the "Board Explorer" feature (I believe we checked out the Hardware Monitor as well) and the motherboard was showing that all of the other pieces of the computer were connected and working as far as I could tell. We even tried booting the computer up on his old HDD but that lead to the same freezing result. At one point, we noticed that his GPU was pretty warm, so we took that out and plugged the HDMI directly into the mobo instead of the GPU. However, we were unable to get any video when going through the mobo with HDMI or with DVI cables.

It's very strange and disappointing, I'm not really sure what the issue is because I have never run into something like this before despite this being my 3rd or 4th time building a computer. Does anyone have any advice or things for me to try? Am I missing something or is this a hardware issue? I was really excited to get this up and running on his birthday because he's been in desperate need of an upgrade for a while

Solution
You can not plug your monitor directly into the motherboard, the Ryzen 5 3600 has no built-in graphics.
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Have you tried using only 1 stick of RAM in the 2nd DIMM slot? Try one stick, then the other.

joshualewis

Reputable
Jun 30, 2017
You can not plug your monitor directly into the motherboard, the Ryzen 5 3600 has no built-in graphics.
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Have you tried using only 1 stick of RAM in the 2nd DIMM slot? Try one stick, then the other.

Ah, that would explain why that part did not work then. I will try your suggestions in just a moment and let you know how it goes!