Hi,

I have just ordered a new drive, due tomorrow.

I will add it to the slave connector and keep my current hdd (which has
3 partitions) as the boot drive. This one is just for extra storage.

I assume it will come with a diagram to link it as a slave.

Do I have to fdisk it?

Do I then have to format it using the command
format g: ?

or will it all be done?

Just plug it in and go!

Thanks

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

nospam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just ordered a new drive, due tomorrow.
>
> I will add it to the slave connector and keep my current hdd (which has
> 3 partitions) as the boot drive. This one is just for extra storage.
>
> I assume it will come with a diagram to link it as a slave.
>
> Do I have to fdisk it?
>
> Do I then have to format it using the command
> format g: ?
>
> or will it all be done?
>
> Just plug it in and go!
>
> Thanks

The answer depends upon your OS and your hardware setup.

But, you may have to change jumpers on the drive. There may or may not
be documentation with the drive, depending upon how you purchased it
(OEM vs. retail package). You either need to be setup as the slave
drive, or as cable select. That depends upon the existing drive and cable.

Yes, you will have to 'fdisk' it. You will have to create a partition.
The exact method depends upon your OS.

Yes, you will have to format the drive. It may not be G: however. This
depends upon your operating system and how you setup your system and
partitioned the drive.

It will not all be done because there is no way the manufacturer knows
what OS you are using and how you want it partitioned and what file
system you want. On the other hand it does not need to be difficult for
you to do

If you specify the OS you have, what PC you have, how the original drive
is jumpered and the type of IDE cable, and what you current partitioning
and drive letters are, someone may be able to give you a specific answer.

You need to provide more information to get a useful answer.

craigm

craigm <none@domain.invalid> writes
>nospam wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have just ordered a new drive, due tomorrow.
>> I will add it to the slave connector and keep my current hdd (which
>>has 3 partitions) as the boot drive. This one is just for extra
>>storage.
>> I assume it will come with a diagram to link it as a slave.
>> Do I have to fdisk it?
>> Do I then have to format it using the command
>> format g: ?
>> or will it all be done?
>> Just plug it in and go!
>> Thanks
>>

>The answer depends upon your OS and your hardware setup.
>
>But, you may have to change jumpers on the drive. There may or may not
>be documentation with the drive, depending upon how you purchased it
>(OEM vs. retail package). You either need to be setup as the slave
>drive, or as cable select. That depends upon the existing drive and cable.
>
>Yes, you will have to 'fdisk' it. You will have to create a partition.
>The exact method depends upon your OS.
>
>Yes, you will have to format the drive. It may not be G: however. This
>depends upon your operating system and how you setup your system and
>partitioned the drive.
>
>It will not all be done because there is no way the manufacturer knows
>what OS you are using and how you want it partitioned and what file
>system you want. On the other hand it does not need to be difficult for
>you to do
>
>If you specify the OS you have, what PC you have, how the original
>drive is jumpered and the type of IDE cable, and what you current
>partitioning and drive letters are, someone may be able to give you a
>specific answer.
>
>You need to provide more information to get a useful answer.
>
>craigm

Sorry

it is Win2k sp4

I have a 30 GB drive labelled as C: G: H:

I have two CD-ROM's labelled as D: E:

I bought the hard disk from the company I bought the PC from many years
ago. a web based retailer (http://www.cclonline.com).

Yes the new 120GB drive will start at label I: though if possible to
avoid confusion I would like to start it at J:

I was thinking of four 30 GB partitions.

The current 30 GB disk is obviously the boot disk but I don't know how
it is linked. I guess as the master. Assuming hard disks have links on
them in the 21 century. Cant they plug and play and work it out for
themselves.

Guess not - probably cause more trouble than its worth.

The current 30 GB disk is attached to the end of the ribbon cable and
the plug is marked master.

The ribbon cable plug that is in the 'middle' is marked slave.

I guess I just use the DOS command box to type fdisk and format J: are
there any switches to the format command that I need?

The disk is just for data.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks

for the info.

Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> writes

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:4gtFe.1499$d02.391387@news20.bellglobal.com
> What is your OS, motherboard, and where are hard drive / optical drive
> plugged in?
> What are existing drive letters?

As if it will make any difference.

"craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote in message news:KQtFe.8$xT2.6@fe05.lga
> nospam wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just ordered a new drive, due tomorrow.
> >
> > I will add it to the slave connector and keep my current hdd (which has
> > 3 partitions) as the boot drive. This one is just for extra storage.
> >
> > I assume it will come with a diagram to link it as a slave.
> >
> > Do I have to fdisk it?
> >
> > Do I then have to format it using the command
> > format g: ?
> >
> > or will it all be done?
> >
> > Just plug it in and go!
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> The answer depends upon your OS and your hardware setup.
>
> But, you may have to change jumpers on the drive. There may or may not
> be documentation with the drive, depending upon how you purchased it
> (OEM vs. retail package). You either need to be setup as the slave
> drive, or as cable select. That depends upon the existing drive and cable.
>
> Yes, you will have to 'fdisk' it.

Nope, but you'd better do it anyway.

> You will have to create a partition.

Nope, not necessarily.

> The exact method depends upon your OS.

Fdisk will do fine.

> Yes, you will have to format the drive. It may not be G: however. This
> depends upon your operating system and how you setup your system and
> partitioned the drive.
>
> It will not all be done because there is no way the manufacturer knows
> what OS you are using and how you want it partitioned and what file
> system you want.

Didn't stop them to preformat drive cartridges.

> On the other hand it does not need to be difficult for you to do
>
> If you specify the OS you have, what PC you have, how the original drive
> is jumpered and the type of IDE cable, and what you current partitioning
> and drive letters are, someone may be able to give you a specific answer.

And even without that.

> You need to provide more information to get a useful answer.

Nonsense.

> craigm

nospam <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> craigm <none@domain.invalid> writes
>> nospam wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have just ordered a new drive, due tomorrow.
>>> I will add it to the slave connector and keep my current hdd (which
>>> has 3 partitions) as the boot drive. This one is just for extra
>>> storage.
>>> I assume it will come with a diagram to link it as a slave.
>>> Do I have to fdisk it?
>>> Do I then have to format it using the command
>>> format g: ?
>>> or will it all be done?
>>> Just plug it in and go!
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> The answer depends upon your OS and your hardware setup.
>>
>> But, you may have to change jumpers on the drive. There may or may
>> not be documentation with the drive, depending upon how you purchased it
>> (OEM vs. retail package). You either need to be setup as the slave
>> drive, or as cable select. That depends upon the existing drive and
>> cable. Yes, you will have to 'fdisk' it. You will have to create a
>> partition. The exact method depends upon your OS.
>>
>> Yes, you will have to format the drive. It may not be G: however.
>> This depends upon your operating system and how you setup your
>> system and partitioned the drive.
>>
>> It will not all be done because there is no way the manufacturer
>> knows what OS you are using and how you want it partitioned and what
>> file system you want. On the other hand it does not need to be
>> difficult for you to do
>>
>> If you specify the OS you have, what PC you have, how the original
>> drive is jumpered and the type of IDE cable, and what you current
>> partitioning and drive letters are, someone may be able to give you a
>> specific answer.
>>
>> You need to provide more information to get a useful answer.

> Sorry

> it is Win2k sp4

> I have a 30 GB drive labelled as C: G: H:

> I have two CD-ROM's labelled as D: E:

> I bought the hard disk from the company I bought the PC from many years ago. a
> web based retailer (http://www.cclonline.com).

> Yes the new 120GB drive will start at label I: though if possible to avoid
> confusion I would like to start it at J:

You can change that letter in Win2K after you have partitioned and formatted it.

> I was thinking of four 30 GB partitions.

Its generally better not to have lots of partitions per physical drive now.

It will work fine however.

> The current 30 GB disk is obviously the boot disk but I don't know how it is
> linked. I guess as the master.

Yes.